Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Ducati Hyperstrada Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum: 2013-2015 Hyperstrada and 2016 Hyperstrada 939


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 251

I Ride: 13 hyperstrada, montesa trials, selling Duc 900 SS CR
Definitely, Ferdi. It is seriously lean, and can benefit from a slightly richer mixture to reduce or eliminate surging, and less exhaust pop on decel, not to mention running a little bit cooler. It probably would increase engine life. Of course, it pollutes a bit more that way, which is why it's so lean from the factory. I don't have a serious issue with surging on mine, but will probably get my Duc shop to tweak the tuning when it's in for another service. I would not want to loose the O2 feedback loop, though. Seems to me it's nice to still have that for elevation changes, etc. I also agree with Appliance that it takes some getting used to the touchy throttle. But, I like it and use sport mode practically all the time....
BlueSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old March 6th, 2016, 03:03 PM   #52
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2016
From: CT
Posts: 123

All I know is I have a lifetime of motorcycle experience and I can barely take off from a red light without a problem. Then as I get going, especially around 4K, it's like the bike loses fuel or air momentarily every second or two. And to make it even more awesome, this bike does the light switch with throttle on/off like none I have ever seen. Going, engine braking, going, engine braking. It's just too abrupt. So today I spent the afternoon riding a gear down and it changed nothing. Even cruising at 5k and up it still has all the same problems.

Hopefully I can figure out how to find a happy place in between somewhere. Weirdest thing is on mine sport mode is the easiest off the line. Urban is great for just tooling around town and touring seems to be the least stable of the 3. It's my first Ducati and I've never ever had a clutch as light as this one, so im sure there is some user aspect to this. But mostly it's the bike. Between having the wrong fuel air mix, the light switch of a throttle and the feather clutch... Funny part is I freakin love the bike. I just wish it wasn't so glitchy.
astrocortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 686

BlueSwede, file this under "too much internet".

The engines are designed to run lean and with water/oil cooling they can be designed to specific parameters. I don't think they run hot.

But, if they run too rich there's a risk of having fuel wash the cylinder. The cylinder is coated with a very thin hard material like nikasil that depends on thorough lubing to protect itself. Too rich a mixture will cause the oil to be diluted and the liner to be scoured.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Austria
Posts: 285

I Ride: 2016 Hyperstrada 939, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
BlueSwede, file this under "too much internet".

The engines are designed to run lean and with water/oil cooling they can be designed to specific parameters. I don't think they run hot.

But, if they run too rich there's a risk of having fuel wash the cylinder. The cylinder is coated with a very thin hard material like nikasil that depends on thorough lubing to protect itself. Too rich a mixture will cause the oil to be diluted and the liner to be scoured.
so you think the oil is washed from the cylinder also in open loop, when its richer by default ?
or does this washing only exist with richer afr in former closed loop region ?

do you know at which AFR ratios washing occurs ? this is far under AFR 0.8.
you will never come into these regions by just disabling closed loop.

Last edited by ferdi; March 7th, 2016 at 12:09 AM.
ferdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 04:50 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 251

I Ride: 13 hyperstrada, montesa trials, selling Duc 900 SS CR
Astrocortex, I think you may have some other problem. What you report does not sound normal to me. It might not hurt to have a good Duc shop take a look/test ride to see if they can find a cure.

Appliance, ehh, no, more like not enough internet :-) ..... my point is that I don't really know enough about fuel injection and air/fuel ratios to want to try and tweak it myself. I am following my service departments recommendations. All they do is work on Ducati and so understand this engine much better than I do...

Last edited by BlueSwede; March 7th, 2016 at 05:57 AM.
BlueSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 02:20 PM   #56
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdi View Post
so you think the oil is washed from the cylinder also in open loop, when its richer by default ?
or does this washing only exist with richer afr in former closed loop region ?

do you know at which AFR ratios washing occurs ? this is far under AFR 0.8.
you will never come into these regions by just disabling closed loop.
dunno
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #57
Member
 
willmac's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2014
From: Vietnam
Posts: 78

I Ride: Hyperstrada 2014 MY
I have the surging issue.
Trying to keep on steady throttle is impossible. No matter what RPM, no matter how steady your hand the bike surges and also backing off the throttle is abrupt.

Funny thing is that I initially installed a SC Project- CRT can. The bike was immediately cured. It was steady and easy to ride ( I did not re-map ) . However, the downside - just too noisy. Bike appeared to be running very lean. The overrun noise was unbelievable but just too much for me and the cops !
Went back to original exhaust for a while - surging back again. Then when my Akra exhaust arrived fitted that - surging still there.

Although my bike is a 2014 model I have had new throttle installed , and surging still occurs.

My friends Hypermotard 821, 2013 model in standard form, also surges, actually even worse than mine. He is a very experienced rider, and he seems to live with it ok. As he states, these bikes were designed for ragging the ass off them. Not for pootling around.

So the only conclusion there can be is that the original mapping on these bikes is really poor. It is too common a problem to blame user error for those pointing in that direction. You can use all the finesse you want on that throttle, it ain't going to help.

I love my bike, however the shine is tarnished when it's just not quite perfect. Would love to have it cured

Last edited by willmac; March 7th, 2016 at 06:40 PM. Reason: spelling
willmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #58
Junior Member
 
WiLZy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2015
From: Vigo - GZ - Spain
Posts: 19

I Ride: Hyperstrada 821 (2014)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by willmac View Post
I have the surging issue.
Trying to keep on steady throttle is impossible. No matter what RPM, no matter how steady your hand the bike surges and also backing off the throttle is abrupt.

Funny thing is that I initially installed a SC Project- CRT can. The bike was immediately cured. It was steady and easy to ride ( I did not re-map ) . However, the downside - just too noisy. Bike appeared to be running very lean. The overrun noise was unbelievable but just too much for me and the cops !
Went back to original exhaust for a while - surging back again. Then when my Akra exhaust arrived fitted that - surging still there.

Although my bike is a 2014 model I have had new throttle installed , and surging still occurs.

My friends Hypermotard 821, 2013 model in standard form, also surges, actually even worse than mine. He is a very experienced rider, and he seems to live with it ok. As he states, these bikes were designed for ragging the ass off them. Not for pootling around.

So the only conclusion there can be is that the original mapping on these bikes is really poor. It is too common a problem to blame user error for those pointing in that direction. You can use all the finesse you want on that throttle, it ain't going to help.

I love my bike, however the shine is tarnished when it's just not quite perfect. Would love to have it cured
Hey I was about telling something similar, but in my case with a EU homologated SC-Project "Oval Low", the bike is much smoother in low rpm or "few gas".
WiLZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 09:22 AM   #59
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 902

I've been a lot happier with my bike ever since I installed the RapidBike evo unit. It's not perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than it was before. Worth a shot if you're hating the way it rides.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #60
Junior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2015
From: Chicago
Posts: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
I've been a lot happier with my bike ever since I installed the RapidBike evo unit. It's not perfect, but it's a helluva lot better than it was before. Worth a shot if you're hating the way it rides.

You've probably posted about this in the past, but I'd like to hear more about this option. How much? Is it user installable/configurable? Do you get to keep the existing modes (sport/touring/urban)?

Apologies if all this was discussed previously- I haven't searched through old threads.
rss29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Tags
problem or surging, throttle



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Surging NateB Mechanical and Technical 40 October 22nd, 2015 06:46 PM
First Hyper problem MKeizerke Ducati Hyperstrada 8 August 6th, 2014 06:28 AM
Limiter problem Petta Mechanical and Technical 0 June 25th, 2014 07:34 AM
2013 Hyper 821 dash/electrical problem dyii Mechanical and Technical 11 March 17th, 2014 07:16 AM
Engine Start Problem HiroTokyo Mechanical and Technical 18 March 1st, 2014 04:09 PM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.