Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Ducati Hyperstrada Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum: 2013-2015 Hyperstrada and 2016 Hyperstrada 939


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 13th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 673

Here's a new model from cyclops - it has both a cut off shield for low beams, and the ability to project at 4000k. I think I'll give it a try.

3800 Lumen Convertable H4 bulb with 4000 and 6000K
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old November 13th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
Here's a new model from cyclops - it has both a cut off shield for low beams, and the ability to project at 4000k. I think I'll give it a try.

3800 Lumen Convertable H4 bulb with 4000 and 6000K
The simple fact that they're claiming 3800 lumens from an emitter that at most can make 1000-1100 each (2000-2200 total) is questionable. Unless they're overdriving them, in which case they'd have to be overdriven a LOT (as brightness is not linear with respect to current) and the cooling of their design is already questionable.

I'm sure it's brighter than the stock bulb, but their claims don't really hold up unless I'm missing something.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 06:41 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
The simple fact that they're claiming 3800 lumens from an emitter that at most can make 1000-1100 each (2000-2200 total) is questionable. Unless they're overdriving them, in which case they'd have to be overdriven a LOT (as brightness is not linear with respect to current) and the cooling of their design is already questionable.

I'm sure it's brighter than the stock bulb, but their claims don't really hold up unless I'm missing something.

There are 4 emitters for a total of 4200 - 4400 lumens. I don't think he's driving them to max.

The cooling is via a fan - I get your point there if you're referring to potential failure as opposed to actual cooling, however, there is a 1 year warranty. But with a cutoff shield and lower K of the light I find it compelling. Can't stand 6000k lights, and I don't want to blind oncoming drivers.

You can talk to the guy directly via the advrider forum in the vendor section.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:18 PM   #14
Member
 
Joined: Sep 2015
From: Bay Area CA
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
There are 4 emitters for a total of 4200 - 4400 lumens. I don't think he's driving them to max.

The cooling is via a fan - I get your point there if you're referring to potential failure as opposed to actual cooling, however, there is a 1 year warranty. But with a cutoff shield and lower K of the light I find it compelling. Can't stand 6000k lights, and I don't want to blind oncoming drivers.

You can talk to the guy directly via the advrider forum in the vendor section.
Actually, what they are claiming might be only thru if they are driving 4x LEDs at the same time. However you low beam is ~2000lm. The CREE chip is 1050lm, Only 2x LEDs are used for low beam, so you are getting 2100lm best case. I thought anyone would drive the LEDs to their max. Looking at the size, I doubt those will fit in 821 Hypermotard.
crazyinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
There are 4 emitters for a total of 4200 - 4400 lumens. I don't think he's driving them to max.

The cooling is via a fan - I get your point there if you're referring to potential failure as opposed to actual cooling, however, there is a 1 year warranty. But with a cutoff shield and lower K of the light I find it compelling. Can't stand 6000k lights, and I don't want to blind oncoming drivers.

You can talk to the guy directly via the advrider forum in the vendor section.
I didn't see the 2nd emitter, it looked like the bulge was the cutoff. Just looked them up on ADV and you're right, so I stand corrected. It looks like they put a shield to cover half the emitter and that's the low beam. High beam is the outer ones on (or maybe all 4). It's very plausible he can achieve 3800 lumens at the emitter. Looks like a good improvement over the first versions we saw.

He does mention they are DOT certified. I'm curious about the extent of this, if they are actually certified. The DOT allows people to say they are, without any verification (like helmets). I'd like to see one in person and test it out. However, I'm wondering how it would work on the hyper since the back of the bulb is in a sealed housing with a hard cover.

Not trying to cut down the product at all, I'm just very skeptical initially. There are so many lights out there that make false claims and suck. It would be really nice to finally be able to swap out the horrid halogen bulb.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:54 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Actually, what they are claiming might be only thru if they are driving 4x LEDs at the same time. However you low beam is ~2000lm. The CREE chip is 1050lm, Only 2x LEDs are used for low beam, so you are getting 2100lm best case. I thought anyone would drive the LEDs to their max. Looking at the size, I doubt those will fit in 821 Hypermotard.
Looking at the design, they are blocking half of the low beam although it might be somewhat reflective. Since the LEDs have a 170 degree angle you might only see 50-60% of that amount on low beam, or around 1050-1200lm. The high beams then add 2100 more , which gets closer to the claimed 3800 on high.

I'd say that relative to the stock bulb, this low beam will be similar brightness but a smoother light distribution, and high beam will appear about twice as bright, also with a smoother light distribution.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2015, 10:38 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 673

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Actually, what they are claiming might be only thru if they are driving 4x LEDs at the same time. However you low beam is ~2000lm. The CREE chip is 1050lm, Only 2x LEDs are used for low beam, so you are getting 2100lm best case. I thought anyone would drive the LEDs to their max. Looking at the size, I doubt those will fit in 821 Hypermotard.
Well it has a low beam AND a high beam.

Driving anything to the max is not a great idea.

If it doesn't fit I'll send it back.

Geez
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 04:56 AM   #18
Member
 
Joined: Sep 2015
From: Bay Area CA
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
Well it has a low beam AND a high beam.

Driving anything to the max is not a great idea.

If it doesn't fit I'll send it back.

Geez
Keep us updated. I ordered another set, that based on the dimensions seems will fit. I will try it next weekend when I get back from my trip

Link to the same product on eBay

The low beam uses CREE XHP50 which is rated for 2500lm each and Philips MZ for the high beam.
crazyinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 07:46 AM   #19
Junior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: California
Posts: 4

Recommend Clearwater lights

I highly recommend paying the $$$ to install clearwater Darlas. They fit right on the fender.

Check out this short youtube I did with my go pro on my strada to show how bright they are.

watch it for the whole minute as I flick them on and off pulling into my driveway

https://youtu.be/PMBX7JAxkdw

good luck
Jslivermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2015, 09:52 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 862

Lol I like how you're riding on the shoulder flashing people. They're probably thinking... what the hell is that
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Tags
headlight, improving, lowbeam, suggestions



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket brake pads? Any suggestions? HyperstradaHopeful Ducati Hyperstrada 12 July 28th, 2015 04:17 AM
High Beam Issue BelloStrada Ducati Hyperstrada 16 April 1st, 2015 10:42 AM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.