Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Ducati Hyperstrada Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum: 2013-2015 Hyperstrada and 2016 Hyperstrada 939


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:19 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2017
From: Philadelphia USA
Posts: 130

I Ride: 2013 Hyperstrada
I will call the dealer today. I may as well add tires while I'm at it. The ones on the bike appear to be original and with 5600 miles on the bike they are looking rough.

Riding home from work yesterday I did try to grip more loosely and hang on with my legs more. This helped. After 90 minutes of stop and crawl in the rain I felt little pain compared to normal. Thanks for the tips!

Regarding the cruiser's throttle response it's actually pretty good. I put in a big bore kit and a stage 2 cam so when I get on it the little thing takes off like a 2 stroke dirtbike. Has not as much pull as the Ducati obviously but it's surprisingly strong in the mid and upper mid powerband compared to other cruisers I've ridden. Lots of fun on backroads!
philthymike is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old May 12th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 903

I have to constantly remind myself to stay loose on the Hyper. Being perched on top, it's easy to try to hold on too hard because you feel you might fall off. In reality, you can stay very loose and there are no issues.

Regarding the jerky throttle, a lot has to do with rider input. After analyzing my throttle input log I found that over every single bump the throttle would be affected with a small spike. With an engine as responsive as the 821 (very low rotating mass) with very little cushion in the driveline, you can directly feel these spikes. This is compounded by the unbalanced fuel ratio from the factory, which makes the engine teeter on a fine line of acceleration/deceleration and is excessively responsive to inputs.

I would avoid larger handlebar risers since the strada already has 20mm spacers. Any more means you need longer bolts and you will start to feel the flex in the bushings.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:01 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 132

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
This is why I avoid sport mode. From what I have read / felt, it'd work nicely on a track or very smooth road. I've lived in the bay area long enough now I've forgotten what a smooth road feels like so touring mode it is.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2017
From: Philadelphia USA
Posts: 130

I Ride: 2013 Hyperstrada
Analyzing the throttle input log? Fascinating. You'll have to forgive me for sounding like a bumpkin but the Ducati is the most technologically advanced vehicle I've owned. How do you get that log data from it?
Or is it something you need to add-on?

That's a good point about rider input. Thinking back on it I had this made very apparent the 1st time I rode it off road. Some rocks in the trail caused me to have some unwanted throttle opening which almost caused me to panic. I recovered fine except for my shorts.

Since the roads in my state make the surface of the moon look smooth I should go across the river to New Jersey and see how much a difference I feel riding on their perfect roads for a day.

That's a big con for the risers. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

@N4teTheGreat I'm really liking Touring mode so far too. I haven't tried Sport yet. Maybe I'll save that for across the river day too.
philthymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:03 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by philthymike View Post
Analyzing the throttle input log? Fascinating. You'll have to forgive me for sounding like a bumpkin but the Ducati is the most technologically advanced vehicle I've owned. How do you get that log data from it?
Or is it something you need to add-on?

That's a good point about rider input. Thinking back on it I had this made very apparent the 1st time I rode it off road. Some rocks in the trail caused me to have some unwanted throttle opening which almost caused me to panic. I recovered fine except for my shorts.

Since the roads in my state make the surface of the moon look smooth I should go across the river to New Jersey and see how much a difference I feel riding on their perfect roads for a day.

That's a big con for the risers. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

@N4teTheGreat I'm really liking Touring mode so far too. I haven't tried Sport yet. Maybe I'll save that for across the river day too.
The throttle thing is something I learned in the process of tuning the bike. With an external device I am able to log the throttle grip input and the throttle body action.

I am eventually going to throw up some different charts and more info in this thread later.

See here:
Adventures in Hypermotard Tuning...
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 132

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthymike View Post
...
@N4teTheGreat I'm really liking Touring mode so far too. I haven't tried Sport yet. Maybe I'll save that for across the river day too.
I've ye to try it myself and I've had the bike for almot 8 months. Guess I should give it a shot, but I suspect touring mode is fine for my purposes.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2017
From: Philadelphia USA
Posts: 130

I Ride: 2013 Hyperstrada
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
The throttle thing is something I learned in the process of tuning the bike. With an external device I am able to log the throttle grip input and the throttle body action.

I am eventually going to throw up some different charts and more info in this thread later.

See here:
Adventures in Hypermotard Tuning...
This is pretty cool stuff. I look forward to seeing more of your results. Thanks for sharing the link too. I'll post my questions about this topic in there.
philthymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:23 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2017
From: Philadelphia USA
Posts: 130

I Ride: 2013 Hyperstrada
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
I've ye to try it myself and I've had the bike for almot 8 months. Guess I should give it a shot, but I suspect touring mode is fine for my purposes.
So how are liking the bike after 8 months?
I've only had mine for roughly a month so it's of interest to me what the experiences of others new to the machine.

Today when I got home I swapped bikes. I'm wondering how much of my problem is attributable to the smaller bars/grips of the Hyper? My Suzuki has 1" bars and some big fat grips. The HS has 7/8" bars?
Is it possible to get a fatter grip on these bars?
philthymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:05 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
monocog007's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Minnesota
Posts: 461

I Ride: 13' Hyperstrada, 00' M900Sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthymike View Post
So how are liking the bike after 8 months?
I've only had mine for roughly a month so it's of interest to me what the experiences of others new to the machine.

Today when I got home I swapped bikes. I'm wondering how much of my problem is attributable to the smaller bars/grips of the Hyper? My Suzuki has 1" bars and some big fat grips. The HS has 7/8" bars?
Is it possible to get a fatter grip on these bars?
Most bikes with 1" bars still use 7/8" grips. You can put on any grips you'd like. Or you could get something like this to go over your grips: https://www.amazon.com/Grab-Grips-Gr.../dp/B000WJAH5M
monocog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:57 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 132

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
The stock grips on my hyper are showing some wear, when they go I'll probably get a pair of these to try (Oury Grip U.S.A. Inc. - Oury Road Grips). I always had cramping and joint issues on my downhill MTBs with stock grips, the oury grips are thicker and seemed to fit my big hands better. Not sure if that will translate to the Hyper but it's worth a try.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Tags
deal, handlebars, higher, lower, pain, seat, wrist



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hyper - calf pain thomashpsn Ducati Hyperstrada 2 February 2nd, 2015 06:15 PM
Can a low seat owner confirm it is lower letsgethyper Ducati Hyperstrada 10 May 28th, 2014 04:57 PM
Anyone with the lower or touring seat? Pinoybear Ducati Hyperstrada 5 October 14th, 2013 07:57 PM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.