Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Ducati Hyperstrada Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum: 2013-2015 Hyperstrada and 2016 Hyperstrada 939


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:33 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Hyp Noob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 165

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Stopped by the dealer today, my bike was partially apart, so they've made some progress.

Bad news ... shredded cam timing belt. They have not gone further in yet but will do so later today or tomorrow.

Will pull Cylinders off, just about everything torn down for inspection.

Parts lists will be assembled.

As most of you probably know, this Ducati uses an interference fit type system, so when a belt breaks damage can happen to valves/piston.

I did not hear any unnerving sounds when failure happened, but who knows?

All covered under warranty and dealer vows to check spec on EVERYTHING throughout the motor for damage/suspicion.

These guys are slow ... So probably no further word until next week.

Will up date when I know more.
Hyp Noob is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 686

Can't remember - did you get this used? How many miles were on the belts? Just curious as to what may have caused this.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:48 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Hyp Noob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 165

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
Can't remember - did you get this used? How many miles were on the belts? Just curious as to what may have caused this.
Yes, bought used, 19K on the clock.

Dealer claimed 18K service was just done ... not sure I believe it as belt looked bit old to me. They sort of hinted that the "now fired" tech who did the work may have screwed something up. None of this bodes well for me.

IMO, they're lying .. and they never did the 18K service at all.

I'm a bit nervous letting these guys do a complete rebuild. Not sure if anyone there is up to date on the Ducati service schools or has a clue at all.

I do know of a really good Ducati guy in San Jose, may have to make a move there if the warranty will still cover (It should).

As to the real cause? I've no clue at this point and not sure they will know for certain even when engine is stripped down. Belts should not just randomly shred. Something's going on here.
Hyp Noob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 11:49 AM   #14
RSL
Senior Member
 
RSL's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 770

I Ride: 2013 Hyperstrada
Dang.
RSL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 12:23 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 902

If the 18k service was done, my vote is it wasn't tensioned properly and skipped or fell off. Think about it... very similar drive belts are in service on cars for 100k miles without direct cooling airflow like on the Ducati. The 18k service is preventive, I imagine the belts would be good for much longer than this.

Or, they didn't put the valve back together right, and it locked up, shredding the belt.

Or a tensioner bearing locked up, heating up the belt and melting it? IDK just some ideas.

If you don't mind sharing, where is this being worked on? I know a shop or two that I would stay away from. Sorry to hear of your problems with the Hyper.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 686

Whatever happens, ask them to give you the old parts. Hopefully they fix things and all is good. If not, those parts are the clues to how it all happened. Auto repair places are required to give you the replaced parts - don't know about MC places.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 06:17 PM   #17
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Merced CA
Posts: 26

I Ride: '16 Hyperstrada 939
Sorry to hear about your trouble man that's rough. Hope they get your Hyper sorted right. I know it's probably too late to take the bike somewhere else, and this place isn't exactly across the street for you, but if you want the best guy you could have working on your bike take it to Don Babb at California Speed Sports in Livermore. He used to own Modesto Ducati a few years back. People would bring their Ducs from all over California because they knew they could trust him and his shop. If I were going to have anyone working on my Duc it would be him.
thePUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:04 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Hyp Noob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 165

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
If the 18k service was done, my vote is it wasn't tensioned properly and skipped or fell off. Think about it... very similar drive belts are in service on cars for 100k miles without direct cooling airflow like on the Ducati. The 18k service is preventive, I imagine the belts would be good for much longer than this.

Or, they didn't put the valve back together right, and it locked up, shredding the belt.

Or a tensioner bearing locked up, heating up the belt and melting it? IDK just some ideas.

If you don't mind sharing, where is this being worked on? I know a shop or two that I would stay away from. Sorry to hear of your problems with the Hyper.
Marin Speed Shop in San Rafael. They sell Ducati and Triumph. Used to be Hattar motors. I knew the owner there, sorry to see those guys leave.

Thanks for the comments on this. YES, the tech mentioned tensioner bearing locking up as a possible ... but I could spin both the ones I could reach. (cover was off) Will update.
Hyp Noob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Hyp Noob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 165

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
Whatever happens, ask them to give you the old parts. Hopefully they fix things and all is good. If not, those parts are the clues to how it all happened. Auto repair places are required to give you the replaced parts - don't know about MC places.
Yes, great idea. I meant to mention this today, but did not. Will call tomorrow and advise. I think MC shops operate under same law ... old parts must be saved and offered to customer.

Thanks for helpful comments. Any further tips and advice much appreciated.

Patrick
Hyp Noob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:10 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Hyp Noob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 165

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePUNISHER View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble man that's rough. Hope they get your Hyper sorted right. I know it's probably too late to take the bike somewhere else, and this place isn't exactly across the street for you, but if you want the best guy you could have working on your bike take it to Don Babb at California Speed Sports in Livermore. He used to own Modesto Ducati a few years back. People would bring their Ducs from all over California because they knew they could trust him and his shop. If I were going to have anyone working on my Duc it would be him.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give them a call and check to see how busy they are. The guy in San Jose comes highly recommended by MANY members on BARF forum for Ducati. He is VERY BUSY ... a month out for my bike. My dealer claims he'll have the bike back up and running in 3 weeks if parts come in ... which of course they never do.

Already been through this with the rear brake/frame piece they broke ... took forever to get parts. They ended up UNBOLTING parts from a new
Hyperstrada ... hey, maybe they'll just give me the WHOLE engine out of that new bike!
Hyp Noob is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Tags
hyperdisaster, interruptus, triptus



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.