Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Ducati Hyperstrada Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum: 2013-2015 Hyperstrada and 2016-2017 Hyperstrada 939


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2019, 05:05 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
gatdammit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Naples, IT
Posts: 2,282

I Ride: 2013 White Strada
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePUNISHER View Post
Curious what damper setup you went with and how much of a difference it really made? I have the EXACT same issue. Bike is rock solid stable up to around 80-85. Anything above that and the front end starts to get very light and that's with the bags on. It isn't quite as bad without them. I'm only 5'7" 150lbs geared up. I was thinking it might be a suspension issue but I really don't want to mess with that as it really soaks up the bumps when I'm truckin it thru the corners. I guess it might be time to price out a Mupo or Andreani setup & install cost at my local shop. Going in for service next week so I'll have to ask.
It's just the giant dirty bags causing drag. I have the Ohlins rod type damper set to max stiffness. That and Andreani's helped a lot but, you can only fight aerodynamics so much. I typically carry 10 lbs of gear, which doesn't help matters.

Bags off and leaned forward it's as stable as can be all the way to Vmax. It's a motard with a pretty dirty front end. Compare it to a sport touring bikes front end and it's pretty obvious why it gets sketchy near triple digits.
gatdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old July 20th, 2019, 07:16 AM   #12
Member
 
thePUNISHER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Merced CA
Posts: 99

I Ride: '16 Hyperstrada 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatdammit View Post
It's just the giant dirty bags causing drag. I have the Ohlins rod type damper set to max stiffness. That and Andreani's helped a lot but, you can only fight aerodynamics so much. I typically carry 10 lbs of gear, which doesn't help matters.

Bags off and leaned forward it's as stable as can be all the way to Vmax. It's a motard with a pretty dirty front end. Compare it to a sport touring bikes front end and it's pretty obvious why it gets sketchy near triple digits.
Maybe I will have to do the suspension, hmmm. Did you use the Ducabike damper mount? I don't know of any others that will work on the Hyper.
thePUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 09:22 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
gatdammit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Naples, IT
Posts: 2,282

I Ride: 2013 White Strada
Yup. The DB mount and rod-piston type is the only option for a damper. There's a few options on make, but they seemed sketchy compared to the Ohlins. I think Ballisimoto was a popular option. I always liked the Scott's steering head damper style but they didn't make one.
gatdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2019, 07:44 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: ABQ NM
Posts: 331

Steering damper may help with the bikes shake/wobble in triple digits but it won't solve it, leaning on the front helps but in the end there's not enough weight and/or down force to plant it at higher speeds, I try to keep it under 100, it's a little brutal without wind protection anyway, this bike is not made for top speed or highways, it's made for mountain roads, there it is at home...

Last edited by BadToTheBown; July 21st, 2019 at 04:17 PM.
BadToTheBown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 11:08 AM   #15
Member
 
thePUNISHER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Merced CA
Posts: 99

I Ride: '16 Hyperstrada 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post
Steering damper may help with the bikes shake/wobble in triple digits but it won't solve it, leaning on the front helps but in the end there's not enough weight and/or down force plant it at higher speeds, I try to keep it under 100, it's a little brutal without wind protection anyway, this bike is not make for top speed or highways, it's made for mountain roads, there it is at home...
No doubt, I couldn't agree more. I try my best to keep it under 100 as well lol. I'm mainly looking for something to quell the headshake that happens usually when I'm hard on the gas trying to make a pass. Seems like a damper would be a good place to start rather than spending $1500-2000 on a suspension overhaul.
thePUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 11:18 AM   #16
Member
 
thePUNISHER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Merced CA
Posts: 99

I Ride: '16 Hyperstrada 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatdammit View Post
Yup. The DB mount and rod-piston type is the only option for a damper. There's a few options on make, but they seemed sketchy compared to the Ohlins. I think Ballisimoto was a popular option. I always liked the Scott's steering head damper style but they didn't make one.
Was the install pretty straightforward? I put a rotary damper on my Tiger and it was kind of a pain to install. Had to drill out the "tamper resistant" bolts that held the ignition to the triples and while I got it done it wasn't the easiest thing to do.
thePUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 04:20 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: ABQ NM
Posts: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePUNISHER View Post
I'm mainly looking for something to quell the headshake that happens usually when I'm hard on the gas trying to make a pass.
+1 Why I want one, not to mention if gassing hard out of turn...
BadToTheBown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 10:20 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
gatdammit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Naples, IT
Posts: 2,282

I Ride: 2013 White Strada
Damper is a very smart mod. Rock solid below 90. I have it set to max dampening and I can still maneuver easily at lower speeds.

Shitty part about the install is removing the ignition cover. It's obviously difficult for security reasons. It's got one time use bolts that you pretty much destroy to remove but the DB mount comes with longer replacements. I remember needing good vice grips to hold the bolts as there is no wrench or hex fitting on the bottom. I did add a rubber O-ring to one of the pivot mounts as it seamed kinda loose without. A couple 1/4"-3/8" O-rings will do the trick.
gatdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2019, 06:42 PM   #19
Member
 
thePUNISHER's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2017
From: Merced CA
Posts: 99

I Ride: '16 Hyperstrada 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatdammit View Post
Damper is a very smart mod. Rock solid below 90. I have it set to max dampening and I can still maneuver easily at lower speeds.

Shitty part about the install is removing the ignition cover. It's obviously difficult for security reasons. It's got one time use bolts that you pretty much destroy to remove but the DB mount comes with longer replacements. I remember needing good vice grips to hold the bolts as there is no wrench or hex fitting on the bottom. I did add a rubber O-ring to one of the pivot mounts as it seamed kinda loose without. A couple 1/4"-3/8" O-rings will do the trick.
Yeah removing the "one time use" bolts on the Tiger was a serious pain. If I remember right I slotted them with a dremel and then used a large flat blade to get them out. That worked fine for 1 but the other was so difficult I stripped out the slot and almost gave up and took it to the dealer. Decided to try again and put a second slot in it, tapped the screwdriver with a hammer as I turned it with a wrench and managed to get the screw out. I think the loctite they used on those things was the issue.

Looks like the Ducabike kit with the damper included is around $670. That's a hefty chunk of change. Might have to wait for Christmas for that one LOL.
thePUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada

Tags
buy, guidance, magic, struck



Thread Tools
Display Modes



Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.