Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 12th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
zippy49's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
From: Inland SoCal
Posts: 1,030

I Ride: anything I can get my hands on
That clutch again...

Short version: Has anyone changed out the clutch pack on their early Hyper 821?

Long version: I've been caught by that grabby clutch too many times. If the revs are just a bit too high or I let it out just a bit too quickly I end up stalling the engine half the time. This has become more of a problem since my riding buddy got his Streetfighter, and leaving stop lights has become a bit more -um- competitive. Also, a recent hand injury is not helping.

I will try unplugging the flapper valve motor, but just for grins I called my dealer for a price on replacing the clutch pack with a later one. He quoted me $450 for the parts, and $350 labor. Now, I spent more than that on Andreanis for our 390 Duke, and I don't ride it nearly as much. I'm about a thousand miles away from my next service, so I might ask for the clutch work too.

If anyone has done this, I'd appreciate some input.
zippy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
monocog007's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Minnesota
Posts: 434

I Ride: 13' Hyperstrada, 00' M900Sie
Not to hijack your thread Zippy, but since you are in the market for a new clutch pack, I figured I'd raise the topic.

Has anyone with an older 821 ridden a newer 939? I noticed when flipping through the parts fiche for the 939 that Ducati drastically redesigned the clutch assembly inside the 939 motor. I wonder if any of these parts can be retrofitted into an 821 to address the grabby feeling many of us are having.

Maybe I've gotten used to it by now, but I did go for a short ride across town with my Father last week. He's been riding for 20+ years, currently has a Hayabusa. Anyways, he was on my hyper and managed to kill it twice pulling away from stops. So while I no longer have issues, I can definitely see it's a problem.

Edit: Here's what I mean. 821 Clutch Diagram:



939 Clutch Diagram:


Last edited by monocog007; October 12th, 2016 at 10:14 AM.
monocog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 862

I have wondered about this too. The clutch is really weird on this bike, and any of the other bikes I've ridden the clutch is super linear and easy to use. I did find that the type of oil makes a big difference. The Motul 7100 10w40 works quite well right now.

There was supposedly an update to the 2013's clutch. The design of the clutch itself is going to lend itself to poor modulation because you essentially have two engage/disengage ramps working at the same time due to the slipper action, and they compound each other.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 08:11 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2016
From: Australia
Posts: 19

I Ride: HS 821, SF 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy49 View Post
I've been caught by that grabby clutch too many times. If the revs are just a bit too high or I let it out just a bit too quickly I end up stalling the engine half the time.
That difficulty in launching the bike smoothly also annoyed me on my 821. You may not have to change the clutch to improve it. The problem disappeared for me after I changed the front sprocket to 14 tooth, but because the gears will be shorter then you still won't beat your buddy on the Streetfighter.
01101101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocog007 View Post
Not to hijack your thread Zippy, but since you are in the market for a new clutch pack, I figured I'd raise the topic.

Has anyone with an older 821 ridden a newer 939? I noticed when flipping through the parts fiche for the 939 that Ducati drastically redesigned the clutch assembly inside the 939 motor. I wonder if any of these parts can be retrofitted into an 821 to address the grabby feeling many of us are having.

Maybe I've gotten used to it by now, but I did go for a short ride across town with my Father last week. He's been riding for 20+ years, currently has a Hayabusa. Anyways, he was on my hyper and managed to kill it twice pulling away from stops. So while I no longer have issues, I can definitely see it's a problem.

Edit: Here's what I mean. 821 Clutch Diagram:



939 Clutch Diagram:

Has anyone compared the 2 clutches? I'd be curious up the road when replacement is needed.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2016, 06:03 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
zippy49's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
From: Inland SoCal
Posts: 1,030

I Ride: anything I can get my hands on
Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
Has anyone compared the 2 clutches? I'd be curious up the road when replacement is needed.
Sorry that I hadn't seen this previously. Those assemblies are completely different. I will ask my dealer about his when I take the bike in for it's 9K service in a month or two.
zippy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:53 PM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: 30min N. of New York City
Posts: 32

I Ride: 821 Hypermotard SP
I did it

I finally put that f**king clutch issue to bed. Installed a used 2015 clutch. If you have a 2013 or 2014 this is the way to go. Now I don't look like I'm learning how to ride a motorcycle anymore.
The parts fiche indicates that there are three different part #'s from the original. But the only difference is the discs.
You'll need to make a couple of special 3 mm x .5 bolts to hold the whole thing together.



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rallye Crazy!

Last edited by fredgilb; January 7th, 2017 at 07:04 PM.
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 06:58 PM   #8
Member
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: 30min N. of New York City
Posts: 32

I Ride: 821 Hypermotard SP
The first diagram is for a 2015 clutch. The plates are different from 2013 -14. 2015 plates fix the problem. Actually in looking at the 939 diag. it doesn't look like a slipper clutch

Last edited by fredgilb; January 7th, 2017 at 07:01 PM.
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
monocog007's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Minnesota
Posts: 434

I Ride: 13' Hyperstrada, 00' M900Sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgilb View Post
The first diagram is for a 2015 clutch. The plates are different from 2013 -14. 2015 plates fix the problem. Actually in looking at the 939 diag. it doesn't look like a slipper clutch
Your photos that you attached don't seem to be working for me.
monocog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #10
Member
 
Joined: Aug 2013
From: 30min N. of New York City
Posts: 32

I Ride: 821 Hypermotard SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by monocog007 View Post
Your photos that you attached don't seem to be working for me.
Are U using Tapatalk?
fredgilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
clutch



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch Cable cjc045 Mechanical and Technical 20 June 14th, 2017 04:49 PM
Hyper 821 Touring seat - Top Case - side tankpad - clutch cable - clutch lever rizoma silenthunter Classifieds 1 May 26th, 2016 09:01 PM
Clutch rattles Whiteone Ducati Hyperstrada 4 November 6th, 2015 03:25 PM
Clutch Going? gatdammit Mechanical and Technical 6 September 20th, 2015 10:18 AM
adjustable clutch? twozzie Ducati Hyperstrada 39 October 8th, 2014 08:57 AM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.