Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:15 PM   #11
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Los Angeles
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbit u2 View Post
Manual also states that the oil level should be checked with the bike in a upright position when the motor is cold, ref Page 210 Owners Manual;

Check engine oil level
Check the engine oil level through the sight glass (1)
on the clutch cover. Oil level must be checked with
the motorcycle perfectly upright and the engine cold.
Oil level should be between the marks on the sight
glass. If the level is low, top up with SHELL Advance
4T Ultra engine oil. Remove the oil filler cap (2) and
top up until the oil reaches the required level. Refit
the plug.

Further reading the Owners manual and I came across a little quote on Page 31:

5) ENGINE OIL PRESSURE LIGHT (RED).
Comes on when engine oil pressure is too low. It
must turn on at Key-On, but must turn off a few
seconds after the engine has started. May come on
briefly when the engine is hot, but should go off as
the engine revs up.

Thanks for the response. Checked the oil in the right temperature in the right position. Fact is, it's just low on oil. With no leaks and no smoke - this thing is just burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. What a shame.
flik is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 862

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik View Post
haha I appreciate the response. Unfortunately for me, I'm not an idiot either. So I know things. Bike on center stand, checked with cold motor, warm motor, hot motor. No oil in window.

A little oil...sure...I can buy that....a quart every fucking thousand?! That's absurd. That's offensive actually. I put almost a thousand miles on this bike in two days this weekend... that's nothing.

This bike has been nothing but a disappointment. If depreciation wasn't a thing, this thing would be long gone by now. Problem after problem.
Don't forget to factor in opportunity cost. Sure, you might lose a few thousand on the bike if you sold it, but think of all the time and money you could be spending on a new bike that actually brings you happiness in the meantime.

I used to trash on this bike to no end and the only reason I didn't sell it was due to depreciation. Then I realized I had too high of expectations, and it brings me more joy than pretty much any other bike in this price range could. So I decided to keep it and fix what wasn't right. Now I can see myself keeping it more long term.

As for the burning oil... could it also be a plugged or malfunctioning breather valve? I've heard of these causing oil loss. What oil are you using? If you're using a 10W40 you could try a 15W50. Just some ideas. What else do you hate about the bike?
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
monocog007's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2015
From: Minnesota
Posts: 436

I Ride: 13' Hyperstrada, 00' M900Sie
Are you sure the dealer didn't just underfill it? You haven't mentioned whether or not you were the one changing the oil. Just a thought.
monocog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:22 PM   #14
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Los Angeles
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocog007 View Post
Are you sure the dealer didn't just underfill it? You haven't mentioned whether or not you were the one changing the oil. Just a thought.
Southern California Motorcycles, the dealer where I bought this lemon...changed the oil. I'm sure they didn't underfill it because it was changed about 3,000 miles ago. No issues. No lights until now.
flik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #15
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Los Angeles
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Don't forget to factor in opportunity cost. Sure, you might lose a few thousand on the bike if you sold it, but think of all the time and money you could be spending on a new bike that actually brings you happiness in the meantime.

I used to trash on this bike to no end and the only reason I didn't sell it was due to depreciation. Then I realized I had too high of expectations, and it brings me more joy than pretty much any other bike in this price range could. So I decided to keep it and fix what wasn't right. Now I can see myself keeping it more long term.

As for the burning oil... could it also be a plugged or malfunctioning breather valve? I've heard of these causing oil loss. What oil are you using? If you're using a 10W40 you could try a 15W50. Just some ideas. What else do you hate about the bike?
I totally hear you on that. Opportunity loss is a real thing and it's a damn shame. Honestly I'm super bummed because I agree - it would be one of the best bikes in it's price range/class. Unfortunately Ducati doesn't QC their manufacturing and I'm stuck with this problem-ridden pile.

Problems:
#1 - In the first 600 miles the throttle began to stick at 4k RPM, even when OFF the throttle. Happened in every gear. Dealer changes throttle, now only happens when I decelerate in 1st gear.

#2 - Warping bodywork. The left body panel has warped itself away from the gas tank cover. Ducati North America and the dealers have claimed "it was designed this way...to warp overtime." (retards. no. I'm a designer myself and close with the engineering world and things aren't designed to do that, ever.)

#3 - Buzzing, loose, sloppy fitment of the nose fairing

#4 - Burning oil.

It's a shame. On more than one level. I'm a cash buyer of many Ducatis. I've tried them and I'm out after this one. They don't stand behind their products, customers and are just as clueless as any other manufacturer...so why pay more?
flik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:58 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
zibbit u2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 455

I Ride: 04 WR450 Supermoto, and 13 Hyperstrada
I think you need a new dealer man.. sounds like yours is ignoring the customers complaints.
zibbit u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 08:40 PM   #17
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Los Angeles
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibbit u2 View Post
I think you need a new dealer man.. sounds like yours is ignoring the customers complaints.
It's beyond that. I've been in touch directly with Ducati North America, who basically dismissed me as well.
flik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Austria
Posts: 275

I Ride: 2016 Hyperstrada 939, red
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik View Post
It's beyond that. I've been in touch directly with Ducati North America, who basically dismissed me as well.
give it away and the bike wil make happy a new owner.
you are not worth the HS .

serious -
all the things you mentioned are bagatelles, beside the oil loss. but we do not know if its really an oil loss because you did not confirm that there was enough oil after service and the last 3000 miles.
so, fill it up and observe. if it really needs a lot of oil you can complain, but not before.
i think the distance between low and full in oillevel gauge-glass is not more than 0.5 l, and using this amount within 3000 miles definitly could be within specs. maybe its more than most other 821 use, but it's not unnormal.

I had a BMW R100GS for about 21 years and 120000 km, basically it used no oil up to 0.5 liter at 5000 km. but at vacation in the alps, where the bike runs a lot in the overrun going down from the passes, it used a lot more oil so that i had to fill up 0.5 liter at 1000-2000 km. so oil use also depends on usage of the bike.

Last edited by ferdi; March 14th, 2017 at 12:33 AM.
ferdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 04:01 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Joined: Feb 2014
From: TN
Posts: 229

The bike should not be on any stand when checking oil level. Both wheels on the ground and level, please.

That said, it does sound like you have unusual consumption issues. If your local Ducati dealer won't help you, elevate it to the next level. Get Ducati North America involved.

ETA: Posted before reading page 2. Sounds like your situation sucks all around. Sorry to hear that.

Last edited by dragoontwo; March 14th, 2017 at 04:04 AM.
dragoontwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:01 AM   #20
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: Los Angeles
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdi View Post
give it away and the bike wil make happy a new owner.
you are not worth the HS .

serious -
all the things you mentioned are bagatelles, beside the oil loss. but we do not know if its really an oil loss because you did not confirm that there was enough oil after service and the last 3000 miles.
so, fill it up and observe. if it really needs a lot of oil you can complain, but not before.
i think the distance between low and full in oillevel gauge-glass is not more than 0.5 l, and using this amount within 3000 miles definitly could be within specs. maybe its more than most other 821 use, but it's not unnormal.

I had a BMW R100GS for about 21 years and 120000 km, basically it used no oil up to 0.5 liter at 5000 km. but at vacation in the alps, where the bike runs a lot in the overrun going down from the passes, it used a lot more oil so that i had to fill up 0.5 liter at 1000-2000 km. so oil use also depends on usage of the bike.
haha actually I'm in the process of working with a group that specializes in explosives. Planning on the live stream it on Facebook if you're interested. Going to send this bike to the stratosphere! I'll keep you posted.
flik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
302, hyperstrada, issue, light, oil



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear turn light to led light Yama Hu Mechanical and Technical 2 March 27th, 2016 07:35 AM
First issue with mine zibbit u2 Mechanical and Technical 15 September 20th, 2015 11:28 AM
New 2014 Hyperstrada & Question on Low Fuel Light hetrida Ducati Hyperstrada 23 June 21st, 2015 04:36 PM
2013 Hyperstrada throttle issue Braaap Mechanical and Technical 11 August 20th, 2014 03:35 PM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.