Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2017, 10:33 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 152

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
Bash Guard Install

I'll be installing the SWMotech bash guard on my Hypermotard as I'll be making the poor life choice of taking ot offroad (on street tires!) this coming weekend. I was reviewing their instructions yesterday and it looks like I should set aside a few hours as they suggest removing the exhaust and rear brake lever. I know a few on this forum have installed this guard, so, any pointers to make this as pain free as possible?
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old November 6th, 2017, 12:28 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 951

It's pretty easy to install but I found that the big footpeg bolts were totally rusted out. They gave me a bit of trouble.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 152

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
Good to know, my bikes been through a few wet rides, so I suspect I'll have some fun corrosion to deal with as well. Did you bother removing the exhaust as they suggest?
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 951

I don't recall having to take the exhaust off. Maybe just the silencer if anything, which is only 2 bolts.

The only tricky part is that rear brake pedal. Use an allen wrench or something similar to leverage the spring up onto the perch it sits on. Other than that it's a very straightforward install.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 05:43 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 152

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
Ah yeah, should have been clearer, the silencer is the part the instructions suggest removing along with the rear brake. That spring did look a little tricky based on the instructions, I guess this means I'll most likely be leaving it on as opposed to only installing it when I'm planning to be adventurous.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Hyp Noob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 197

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650, 2017 KTM 690 Duke
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
I'll be installing the SWMotech bash guard on my Hypermotard as I'll be making the poor life choice of taking ot offroad (on street tires!) this coming weekend. I was reviewing their instructions yesterday and it looks like I should set aside a few hours as they suggest removing the exhaust and rear brake lever. I know a few on this forum have installed this guard, so, any pointers to make this as pain free as possible?
This bike is NOT GREAT off road. Be careful with embedded rocks and nasty pot holes. For me the bar and seating position are simply awful for off road riding.
Standing is nearly impossible.

Do yourself a favor if doing any distance off road ... lower tire pressures. HUGE
difference for the better. I went down to 20 psi front and rear. Better control, bump absorption ... and ride. Good luck!
Hyp Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 152

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp Noob View Post
This bike is NOT GREAT off road. Be careful with embedded rocks and nasty pot holes. For me the bar and seating position are simply awful for off road riding.
Standing is nearly impossible.

Do yourself a favor if doing any distance off road ... lower tire pressures. HUGE
difference for the better. I went down to 20 psi front and rear. Better control, bump absorption ... and ride. Good luck!
Noted, I'm not expecting it to perform like a dual sport. This weekend is just a clinic at a local OHV park, I'll ride my own ride and skip any bits that seem too tricky. I've ridden on hard pack and loose gravel / rocks / washboard without too much trouble, though I wasn't setting any speed records. I'm mostly curious to get some more time on dirt and to see what parts of the instruction I can apply. I don't expect to be power sliding or doing anything very aggressive. Could still be a terrible decision, we'll see :-)
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 696

Set the bike in rain mode and turn down the TC and ABS.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 152

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
Well unfortunately the guard did not fit my bike. Even though the 2014 and 2015 both have the same chassis and motor the mount points for the rear bracket are in a slightly different location, or the crank case got deeper) so it's not possible to fit the bracket. Oh well, all the riding we did was dirt and gravel, no big rocks at all so there was no risk of damage. Now to decide if I try to return the guard, make a custom bracket, or just sell it.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2017
From: Lansing Mi
Posts: 13

I Ride: 2013 hypermotard/hyperstrada, 2005 zx6r, drz125, crf50 crf70
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
Well unfortunately the guard did not fit my bike. Even though the 2014 and 2015 both have the same chassis and motor the mount points for the rear bracket are in a slightly different location, or the crank case got deeper) so it's not possible to fit the bracket. Oh well, all the riding we did was dirt and gravel, no big rocks at all so there was no risk of damage. Now to decide if I try to return the guard, make a custom bracket, or just sell it.
Can you post a few pics of how it mounts in relation to how your mounting locations are? Maby the community can help with possible solutions. I
Araitim is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
bash, guard, install



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RapidBike Evo Install gatdammit Mechanical and Technical 32 August 31st, 2017 05:39 AM
Tidy Tail Install Today Cdnpuck Ducati Hyperstrada 11 June 11th, 2017 08:00 PM
Clearwater Darla LED Light Install RSL Ducati Hyperstrada 13 March 13th, 2016 12:53 PM
Anyone install some Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires? HyperstradaHopeful Ducati Hyperstrada 18 March 27th, 2015 04:34 PM
The Andreani Install: How it went. NurseDaddy Mechanical and Technical 27 July 28th, 2014 12:49 PM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.