Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2018, 04:37 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Mar 2018
From: London
Posts: 1

Starter motor

Hi gang
my starter motor needs replacing. The bike is no longer under warranty. I have read elsewhere that Ducati replace the motor for free as it was a known issue. Does anybody have experience with this? All help is much appreciated!

regards
Markimark
markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old March 15th, 2018, 05:41 AM   #2
RSL
Senior Member
 
RSL's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 866

I Ride: 2013 Hyperstrada
Well, depends on your dealer being on your side.

My dealer argued for me and Ducati paid for the starter and I paid $180 for the labor.
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2018, 09:09 PM   #3
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: Glendale CA
Posts: 58

I Ride: Hypermotard 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Well, depends on your dealer being on your side.

My dealer argued for me and Ducati paid for the starter and I paid $180 for the labor.


Does this sound like a starter motor issue? See link.

https://youtu.be/msO3Vgi-Zfk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
touficzeidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2018, 04:53 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Austria
Posts: 323

I Ride: 2016 Hyperstrada 939 red, 2006 MotoMorini Corsaro 1200 black/silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by touficzeidan View Post
Does this sound like a starter motor issue? See link.

https://youtu.be/msO3Vgi-Zfk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no
ferdi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:43 AM   #5
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: Glendale CA
Posts: 58

I Ride: Hypermotard 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdi View Post
no


What u think maybe EVAP?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
touficzeidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2018, 05:26 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: ABQ NM
Posts: 254

I went with advice on this forum to change over to the Denso starter motor, will go in this winter...
BadToTheBown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2018, 09:53 PM   #7
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: Glendale CA
Posts: 58

I Ride: Hypermotard 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post
I went with advice on this forum to change over to the Denso starter motor, will go in this winter...


Where are you buying it from? Did u attempt to contact Ducati about it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
touficzeidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2018, 11:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
gatdammit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: Naples, IT
Posts: 2,057

I Ride: 2013 White Strada
I bought my Denso off eBay
Didn't try for warranty because my bike was over 4 yrs old and I had so many mod's it would have turned ugly.
gatdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2018, 01:01 PM   #9
Member
 
Joined: Jul 2016
From: Glendale CA
Posts: 58

I Ride: Hypermotard 2013
So I called DNA and I copy pasted their response. Only issue now is that I have a rapid bike installed. So I would need to remove that b4 I take it in for diagnosis. Is there a way to find out for sure if it's the starter via OBD2 scanner?
What y'all think? Shall I just do it myself?



Hello Toufic,
*
As requested, here is an email summary of our conversation and DNAís recommendation regarding the issues with your motorcycle.* As you are aware, the part number for the starter on your motorcycle has been superseded, and in some qualifying circumstances Ducati is willing to offer partial and/or complete coverage of the diagnosis and repair of the starter motor.* It sounds like you have experience with this from your friendís bike.* However, because the motorcycle is so far out of warranty I want to stress that we do require that it be brought to the shop for official diagnosis and goodwill coverage application before we can promise any help.* This does mean that you will need to approve the initial diagnosis costs upfront.* Once the shop has submitted an application for goodwill coverage (through our YouTech system), the service area manager for the southwest region will determine if this meets his qualifications for coverage.*
*
Please let me know if you have any questions, or if any issues arise while bringing the bike to the shop.
*
Regards,


Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
touficzeidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2018, 09:20 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 1,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by touficzeidan View Post
So I called DNA and I copy pasted their response. Only issue now is that I have a rapid bike installed. So I would need to remove that b4 I take it in for diagnosis. Is there a way to find out for sure if it's the starter via OBD2 scanner?
What y'all think? Shall I just do it myself?



Hello Toufic,
*
As requested, here is an email summary of our conversation and DNAís recommendation regarding the issues with your motorcycle.* As you are aware, the part number for the starter on your motorcycle has been superseded, and in some qualifying circumstances Ducati is willing to offer partial and/or complete coverage of the diagnosis and repair of the starter motor.* It sounds like you have experience with this from your friendís bike.* However, because the motorcycle is so far out of warranty I want to stress that we do require that it be brought to the shop for official diagnosis and goodwill coverage application before we can promise any help.* This does mean that you will need to approve the initial diagnosis costs upfront.* Once the shop has submitted an application for goodwill coverage (through our YouTech system), the service area manager for the southwest region will determine if this meets his qualifications for coverage.*
*
Please let me know if you have any questions, or if any issues arise while bringing the bike to the shop.
*
Regards,


Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
They denied my repair while still under warranty due to the Rapidbike...

Also, goodwill repairs usually cover part cost but still charge you labor.

You are better off doing it yourself.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
motor, starter



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starter Motor Replacement DIY kuksul08 Mechanical and Technical 64 December 3rd, 2018 01:14 AM
Starter motor discovery - Taigene vs Denso kuksul08 Mechanical and Technical 15 April 23rd, 2018 01:19 PM
Flaky starter motor Jokeshopbeard Mechanical and Technical 19 July 2nd, 2016 06:00 AM
Those vials containing motor oil moongul Mechanical and Technical 0 November 26th, 2014 04:48 AM
Starter Petrey Mechanical and Technical 2 December 1st, 2013 08:30 PM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.