Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2019, 09:28 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: Seattle, Earth
Posts: 7

Question Are the USB chargers ON while the bike is OFF?

I'm contemplating getting one of those Hella > USB chargers, but I need it to work while the bike is off (to charge my BT headset while parked).

Are the USB outlets wired for constant power?

Otherwise I'll have to hardwire a USB plug
Mr Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old April 5th, 2019, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 335

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard, 2018 Hypermotard SP
I have a very simple USB port that connects to the trickle charging port. Due to this it is directly connected to the battery and charges at all times.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 03:49 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: Seattle, Earth
Posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat View Post
I have a very simple USB port that connects to the trickle charging port. Due to this it is directly connected to the battery and charges at all times.
I'm thinking of doing this but it seems like a waste if I already have two other built-in "cigarette" ports... But of course Ducati decided to make these the smaller din hella style
Mr Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 11:29 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Joined: May 2018
From: Brazil
Posts: 12

Great idea of connecting to trickle charger port.

To answer the initial question, the 12V outlets do not work without the key in the ON position. Engine does not need to be running.
Baloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:28 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Joined: Aug 2018
From: Seattle, Earth
Posts: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
To answer the initial question, the 12V outlets do not work without the key in the ON position. Engine does not need to be running.
Well. That's lame. I guess I will never use the two included 12v outlets then...

Just ordered a USB charger for the trickle charger port for $12. Sweet!
Attached Thumbnails
Are the USB chargers ON while the bike is OFF?-71xypjwlgwl._sx425_.jpg  
Mr Duc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 01:29 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 335

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard, 2018 Hypermotard SP
That's the one I use. It puts out enough juice to make my phone fast charge.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2019, 04:18 AM   #7
Junior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: BOS
Posts: 5

I Ride: '13 Hyper, '17 701 Enduro, '14 CRF250L, '08 R6 (track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Duc View Post
Well. That's lame. I guess I will never use the two included 12v outlets then...



Just ordered a USB charger for the trickle charger port for $12. Sweet!


Going directly from the 12V power outlet to USB, a device charged from that USB may also get pretty severe audio interference. Not sure if it's straight RF, voltage modulation, ground issue, or what.

For trips this season I'm going to charge a juicepack off the 12V to USB, and just charge the phone off the juicepack when needed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
feralchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2019, 07:49 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 899

I Ride: hyperstrada 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
Going directly from the 12V power outlet to USB, a device charged from that USB may also get pretty severe audio interference. Not sure if it's straight RF, voltage modulation, ground issue, or what.

For trips this season I'm going to charge a juicepack off the 12V to USB, and just charge the phone off the juicepack when needed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These devices are coming off a fused sae cable and are designed for this singular purpose. I'd guess they have appropriate filter circuits. Have you had bad experiences?
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2019, 06:15 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2018
From: Torrington
Posts: 13

I Ride: 2014 Hyperstrada
I also use that cheap charger. No problems I can see. I run a charging cable up under the tank to my phone mount.
Only suggestion is to remove the set up when giving a full wash. My S9 detects moisture in the charging rig and does not like it. That said, I have not tried in heavy rain conditions.
If I get a full year out of it, I'm happy. I'll buy a few next time.

D
DenDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2019, 06:03 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Joined: Nov 2017
From: BOS
Posts: 5

I Ride: '13 Hyper, '17 701 Enduro, '14 CRF250L, '08 R6 (track)
Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
These devices are coming off a fused sae cable and are designed for this singular purpose. I'd guess they have appropriate filter circuits. Have you had bad experiences?

I have. With a BMW-style USB converter into one of the ports on my 821 Strada, to a previous gen iPhone into that (ah headphone jacks, what a concept), with in-ear Shure headphones...bad interference plugged into USB and no interference unplugged. Guess apple "solved" that problem. :/


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
feralchimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
bike, chargers, hella, usb, usb outlet



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bike 2 Bike Radio - What is it like? RSL Gear 2 May 15th, 2017 06:19 PM
My bike at shop for 3wks, shall ducati provide compensatory bike? stenly Mechanical and Technical 9 April 7th, 2016 07:00 PM
My First Bike (ever) CarelCronje Ducati Hyperstrada 3 October 3rd, 2015 06:19 PM
new here looking for bike cndctrdj New Users 33 May 9th, 2014 09:14 AM
new guy with new bike r3monkey New Users 12 April 10th, 2014 07:54 AM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.