Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Mechanical and Technical Mechanical and technical topics, help, and discussions


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7

I Ride: Ducati Hyperstrada, Red, 2013
Question How Urgent/Crucial is After-Market-Exhaust-Slip-On Remap? Just Installed Termignoni

Hi Guys,

I just self-installed a Termignoni Exhaust Slip-On (Silencer only not full system) on my 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada (Australian version) with 1100km on Odo first service done and from reading the user manual, I understand that I'm supposed to get the bike remapped as Ducati have a specific map for the termi slip-ons. (yeah I'm one of those nerds that reads user manuals from front to back)

I will definitely get the bike remapped as I tend to be a mechanical-noob that follows user manuals/instructions to the letter PLUS the remap is supposed to add an extra 5hp of power.

*My question is whether anyone knows how urgent/crucial it is that I have the bike remapped accordingly? I'm planning to ride over to the mechanic at some point to get the remap done however he needs the bike overnight so I need to plan the logistics of it all.

(I installed the slip-on myself as I don't really have a convenient way of taking the slip-on to the mechanic PLUS it felt more manly to do it myself )

Thank Y'All
skyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old July 30th, 2014, 09:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 251

I Ride: 13 hyperstrada, montesa trials, selling Duc 900 SS CR
IMHO it is not urgent or critical that you get the fuel remap. Maybe the mileage and the power will be slightly less than the absolute optimal, but I can think of no way that your standard fuel map would somehow hurt your engine. Enjoy the ride and the new sound.

Cheers
BlueSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7

I Ride: Ducati Hyperstrada, Red, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwede View Post
IMHO it is not urgent or critical that you get the fuel remap. Maybe the mileage and the power will be slightly less than the absolute optimal, but I can think of no way that your standard fuel map would somehow hurt your engine. Enjoy the ride and the new sound.

Cheers

Thanks BlueSwede, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.
skyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 05:51 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
gatdammit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: North Florida, USA
Posts: 1,855

I Ride: 2013 White Strada
IDK. If the new pipe has an extreme effect on back-pressure and flow, or advertises a significant gain in power, then it will be useless without out updated mapping. Also, if you notice idle stumble, slow throttle response, poor gas milage or flat spots in the power curve...get it mapped. With todays fuel control and ECU's, you want very specific maps to get the most out of the engine.

On a car, probes will sense the dirtier/unrestricted exhaust and throw codes. It would be a cool experiment for you to ride without tune for a while then get one and note the difference and/or need.
gatdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2014, 09:30 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
zippy49's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
From: Inland SoCal
Posts: 1,034

I Ride: anything I can get my hands on
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjo View Post
Hi Guys,

I just self-installed a Termignoni Exhaust Slip-On (Silencer only not full system) on my 2013 Ducati Hyperstrada (Australian version) with 1100km on Odo first service done and from reading the user manual, I understand that I'm supposed to get the bike remapped as Ducati have a specific map for the termi slip-ons. (yeah I'm one of those nerds that reads user manuals from front to back)

I will definitely get the bike remapped as I tend to be a mechanical-noob that follows user manuals/instructions to the letter PLUS the remap is supposed to add an extra 5hp of power.

*My question is whether anyone knows how urgent/crucial it is that I have the bike remapped accordingly? I'm planning to ride over to the mechanic at some point to get the remap done however he needs the bike overnight so I need to plan the logistics of it all.

(I installed the slip-on myself as I don't really have a convenient way of taking the slip-on to the mechanic PLUS it felt more manly to do it myself )

Thank Y'All
Whoa, the remapping should not take more than half an hour, including getting to the plug. Is this a Ducati dealership mechanic?

And I believe that it's the full system that can yield another 5%, but of course the increased sound will make it feel like that and more.
zippy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 04:08 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7

I Ride: Ducati Hyperstrada, Red, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy49 View Post
Whoa, the remapping should not take more than half an hour, including getting to the plug. Is this a Ducati dealership mechanic?

And I believe that it's the full system that can yield another 5%, but of course the increased sound will make it feel like that and more.
Both the main Ducati Dealership and a general motorcycle mechanic who works on Dukes said the same thing, that they need 2.5-3 hours. I think it's a bit odd as well.
skyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2014, 04:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
gatdammit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: North Florida, USA
Posts: 1,855

I Ride: 2013 White Strada
My dealer said it was a very slow process checking the database for maps. I don't know if he meant accessing the Duc server or talking to the bike.
gatdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 09:50 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
zippy49's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2013
From: Inland SoCal
Posts: 1,034

I Ride: anything I can get my hands on
Finally called my dealer - his service manager checked and told me that no reflash is necessary or even available from Ducati for the Termi slip-on. After all, it retains the exhaust valve. And any power increase would be hard to measure.

Any more modification than that and you are on your own, caveat emptor!
zippy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 7

I Ride: Ducati Hyperstrada, Red, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy49 View Post
Finally called my dealer - his service manager checked and told me that no reflash is necessary or even available from Ducati for the Termi slip-on. After all, it retains the exhaust valve. And any power increase would be hard to measure.

Any more modification than that and you are on your own, caveat emptor!
That makes sense. In that case I'm really disappointed in my dealer and mechanic for not pointing that out. Seems like all these greedy people just simply wanted to charge me $280 to install a bloody slip-on. Ridiculous and totally unethical. Thanks.
skyjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Joined: May 2014
From: San Diego, CA
Posts: 22

After putting on the Arrow, I rode it for a week before getting the Rexxor flash. Made a big difference, all positive.
thomashpsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Mechanical and Technical

Tags
aftermarketexhaustslipon, exhaust, installed, map, remap, slip on, termignoni, urgent or crucial



Search tags for this page
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Termignoni Installed on my Hyperstrada! W208cab Ducati Hyperstrada 31 May 27th, 2017 12:25 PM
Termignoni exhaust ChrisHyper Mechanical and Technical 47 April 4th, 2015 01:55 AM
Shift Tech Slip on - Hypermotard 821 Dryer Classifieds 2 August 5th, 2014 06:28 AM
ECU Flash/Remap C180Mike Mechanical and Technical 7 June 27th, 2014 04:11 PM
After Market Accessories (farkles) jerdog53 Ducati Hyperstrada 189 April 22nd, 2014 12:14 PM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.