Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Motorcycle Talk For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 13th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
beef tits's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: Denver, CO
Posts: 245

I just took mine on a 2,000 mile trip, not that far. The bike is not designed for heavy off road or for carrying a lot of things. The bags are JUNK.
beef tits is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old September 13th, 2015, 09:12 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 686

If a v-strom can do it this can do it. Both road bikes, but the the strada is a better one in terms of weight, agility and fun.

It really depends on how offroad you're going - and your idea regarding repair is a good one. I'd check this out: Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X | Page 72 | Adventure Rider

and: http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...-itch.1061450/

Having had a cb500f I can testify to how much fun these bikes can be.

Also, Honda is coming out with the new Africa twin - it looks perfect for your plans, and is designed with easy basic maintenance in mind. For example, the air filters can be changed without removing the gas tank etc..

I love the strada - just got back from 1k of back road scratching and camping, and it just gets better - but it's a high compression, highly stressed engine, it needs premium fuel, the desmo is complex and specialized, and if it broke in xxxxxistan, good luck with that.

Another thing to note is that it attracts a lot of attention - not always a good thing.

Last edited by appliance821; September 13th, 2015 at 09:21 AM.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef tits View Post
I just took mine on a 2,000 mile trip, not that far. The bike is not designed for heavy off road or for carrying a lot of things. The bags are JUNK.
Gotta say this is one man's opinion (granted, a man named beaf tits, so that counts for something.) I carry about a 80 - 100lbs of gear with no issues, and the bags work fine. For rtw - yeah - better to get a rear side frame and strap on some wolfmans.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2015
From: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 8

I Ride: 2013 Hyperstrada, whitr
I just got back from a 3800kms loop from Vancouver to California searching out some of the best twisties the Pacific Northwest has to offer and I have to say that I love my HS for these kinds of trips. It's comfortable enough to get there without pain and a lot of fun in the tight twisties when I get to it. Bags were great for a 7 day trip and will need more if it's an extended one. Other upgrades I would like after this trip is a larger windscreen. Hopefully I can find a height adjustable one and also wider to get that wind around me better. If it's going to anywhere barren, I would definitely extend the gas range either with a bigger tank or some Rotopax.

This trip is the one that inspired me to see if I can take the HS further. Will likely pick mostly paved roads for sure. I can see this bike is perfect for me across North America and across Europe. It's just the crossing between Eastern Europe to Asia that I have to pick my route carefully.

Last edited by Victoreric; September 13th, 2015 at 10:51 AM.
Victoreric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Joined: May 2014
From: Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 251

I Ride: 13 hyperstrada, montesa trials, selling Duc 900 SS CR
Yeah, I really like the new Africa Twin also, Appliance. However, it is heavier than I was really hoping for. Also, I'm curious to see what the upcoming Husqvarna 701 Enduro will be like.. Might be more in the right weight class for my taste. Will definitely check out the Africa Twin when it's out, regardless.... never had a Honda before..
BlueSwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:48 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSwede View Post
Yeah, I really like the new Africa Twin also, Appliance. However, it is heavier than I was really hoping for. Also, I'm curious to see what the upcoming Husqvarna 701 Enduro will be like.. Might be more in the right weight class for my taste. Will definitely check out the Africa Twin when it's out, regardless.... never had a Honda before..
Between Husky and KTM there's some interesting stuff in the works. The revamped 690 single and the new 800 twin, not to mention the svartpilen... Thing with ktm is that there's usually a failure that takes a few months to show up - they never fix it, but 3rd party stuff comes out. If I was doing RTW I wouldn't do it on a new ktm/husky model.

The At is heavy (though lighter,in base form, than the BMW 1200gs,S10, and ktm 1190 ) - and I keep finding myself on nasty rocky stuff with my strada and it's a handful at 50lbs lighter. My guess is that a few mods brings the AT to within 20lbs of the strada - though it is a different ball of wax, and would probably roll over the shit that keeps knocking me around.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 01:09 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
beef tits's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: Denver, CO
Posts: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by appliance821 View Post
Gotta say this is one man's opinion (granted, a man named beaf tits, so that counts for something.) I carry about a 80 - 100lbs of gear with no issues, and the bags work fine. For rtw - yeah - better to get a rear side frame and strap on some wolfmans.
One man's opinion indeed! Riding style and the places you want to go should be in mind before buying a bike. I must say though, my beef tits don't add a whole lot to my 5'10" 170 lb frame

My bags have 5,000 miles on them in 3 months and are faded purple and practically coming apart at the seams. My Ducati "Performance" tank bag is ripped after two weeks of use. I don't overstuff things and they haven't seen any terrain that the rest of the bike hasn't. Ducati's gear is overpriced garbage. Fit for carrying groceries around town and that is about it.

As for traveling around the world, the bike is a lot of fun... yeah. Nimble, quick, fun in the twists and easy to maneuver. One wrong line through a bouldery jeep-trail though and you are fucked. I banged the bottom a few times on moderate fire roads, it is not well protected. It is not geared well for even semi-rough off-road. When you get stuck in the middle of nowhere looking for parts or service... good luck! If you are doing all highway and gravel roads - go for it. Also, high speeds are not fun for extended periods of time. The wind protection is mediocre at best.

I bought the Hyperstrada because it is a good all around bike. It's not the best tourer, not the best racer and not the most dependable. It does good enough at a lot of things, but doesn't particularly excel in any one area except FUN.

If you want a bike for "Around the World" I'd suggest a BMW or KTM and plan to drop about $5-10k on additional gear, that is... if you want to take the FUN routes.

Last edited by beef tits; September 13th, 2015 at 01:32 PM.
beef tits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jun 2014
From: Boston
Posts: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef tits View Post
One man's opinion indeed! Riding style and the places you want to go should be in mind before buying a bike. I must say though, my beef tits don't add a whole lot to my 5'10" 170 lb frame

My bags have 5,000 miles on them in 3 months and are faded purple and practically coming apart at the seams. My Ducati "Performance" tank bag is ripped after two weeks of use. I don't overstuff things and they haven't seen any terrain that the rest of the bike hasn't. Ducati's gear is overpriced garbage. Fit for carrying groceries around town and that is about it.

As for traveling around the world, the bike is a lot of fun... yeah. Nimble, quick, fun in the twists and easy to maneuver. One wrong line through a bouldery jeep-trail though and you are fucked. I banged the bottom a few times on moderate fire roads, it is not well protected. It is not geared well for even semi-rough off-road. When you get stuck in the middle of nowhere looking for parts or service... good luck! If you are doing all highway and gravel roads - go for it. Also, high speeds are not fun for extended periods of time. The wind protection is mediocre at best.

I bought the Hyperstrada because it is a good all around bike. It's not the best tourer, not the best racer and not the most dependable. It does good enough at a lot of things, but doesn't particularly excel in any one area except FUN.

If you want a bike for "Around the World" I'd suggest a BMW or KTM and plan to drop about $5-10k on additional gear, that is... if you want to take the FUN routes.
A little harsh but sure. Though I think it's a very good tourer. Not a high speed beast, though I can comfortably cruise at 75 - 85 depending on the wind, but roll on that power and you can pass 6 cars and an xanax riddled suv faster than a blink - and life is good again.

Although,I'd never look at BMW, and the ktm 690 needs a lot of upgrades for rtw - I'd look at the Rally Raid cb500x very carefully.
appliance821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Hyp Noob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 159

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoreric View Post
I just got back from a 3800kms loop from Vancouver to California searching out some of the best twisties the Pacific Northwest has to offer and I have to say that I love my HS for these kinds of trips. It's comfortable enough to get there without pain and a lot of fun in the tight twisties when I get to it. Bags were great for a 7 day trip and will need more if it's an extended one. Other upgrades I would like after this trip is a larger windscreen. Hopefully I can find a height adjustable one and also wider to get that wind around me better. If it's going to anywhere barren, I would definitely extend the gas range either with a bigger tank or some Rotopax.

This trip is the one that inspired me to see if I can take the HS further. Will likely pick mostly paved roads for sure. I can see this bike is perfect for me across North America and across Europe. It's just the crossing between Eastern Europe to Asia that I have to pick my route carefully.
Long dead thread I guess.
That's an impressive ride on the Hyper. Nice report and I'm hopeful my new to me Hyper will be able to match what you've done!
If you're serious about RTW (most aren't) look no further than these two bikes:
Yamaha WR250R
Suzuki DR650

I'm buying a WR250 soon, will be outfitting it for LD travel over next year. My current DR650 has over 60K miles of mostly out of USA travel. (mostly Mexico, 5 trips to Baja, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Idaho ... and MORE.

You only need read the LONG and HUGE DR650 thread on ADV Rider, in Thumpers sections. It's the BIGGEST thread on all of ADV Rider forum with over 24 million views.

Also, DR Rider forum is good. But for info on RTW, you can't beat HUBB.
(Horizon's) I was active there 10 years ago when I was doing lots of Mexico on my DL1000 (90K miles) Lots to learn.

Find the MANY Ride Reports featuring the DR650 and you will be sold. As I get older I'm leaning toward the WR250R.

The DR is lighter than many other bikes ... and is MORE RELIABLE than just about any other bike I can think of in the 650 dual sport class. Fact is, the
DR650 is the BEST ADV travel bike out there. Fantastic value, tough as nails and SO easy to work on. I've owned KLR, XR650L, XR400, R100GS, KTM Duke ll,
Vstrom 1000, 2 DR650's ... and 30 more over last 40 years. DR650 hard to beat.

Do a few key mods and you will be HAPPY as a clam when you're 20K km away from Canada. LOTS of Canadians on the HUBB, many DR owners there too.
The WR is a close 2nd.

On many of the roads in S. America and Mongolia you'll find serious washboard that will literally shake the Hyper Strada to bits. Plus broken wheels, sub frame,
who knows what else. Don't waste your beauty there. Go cheap and cheerful.
DR650 .... good luck.


Last edited by Hyp Noob; April 13th, 2017 at 09:43 PM.
Hyp Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 09:51 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
zibbit u2's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2015
From: Victoria BC Canada
Posts: 457

I Ride: 04 WR450 Supermoto, and 13 Hyperstrada
easier to buy a bike overseas, and leave it there or sell it when you're done. There's lots of penalties if you bring your own bike from here to use there.
zibbit u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Tags
hyperstrada, travel, world



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Free booth of CIMAMotor2014 for Ducati Travel Agency and Riding Clubs sophiazhao Ducati Hyperstrada 0 April 14th, 2014 07:22 PM
Where would you like to travel with your hyperstrada?? Mibanez3 Ducati Hyperstrada 19 April 26th, 2013 09:56 AM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.