Ducati Hyperstrada Forums Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle

Go Back   Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Motorcycle Talk For topics and discussions about all motorcycle makes and models


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2017, 08:31 AM   #21
Member
 
Joined: Oct 2016
From: San Francisco
Posts: 68

I Ride: 2015 Hypermotard
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
With so many bike options these days, trying to find the 'perfect' bike is nearly impossible.
This. If garage space wasn't at a premium in SF I'd probably have 2 or three bikes and I'd certainly not be looking to sell the 599.
N4teTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old April 7th, 2017, 10:30 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
gatdammit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: North Florida, USA
Posts: 1,822

I Ride: 2013 White Strada
Diavel! This isn't on anyones radar? I rode one on a demo ride before getting my Strada. Nutty motor and about as cruiser as I can go. I've seen a couple fitted for touring and it looks capable.
gatdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 09:36 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 814

Can't say I'll do another Ducati at least for a long time. The Diavel is also too cruiser. I require upright, dirt bike-ish riding position.

The power is supposed to be pretty ridiculous though.
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #24
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 99

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Thumbs up Horses For Courses!

Interesting takes on various bikes. I'm just learning the Hyper ... and so far, it's better than I thought it would be on several fronts.

I'm only 5'6" ... so, first off, this little bike FITS ME. (very few really do fit me!) I doubt many riders are my size and I'd surmise most are too big for the little Hyper? (IE: Monkey Humping Football comes to mind! )

I've owned over 50 bikes going back to about 1962. Only 2 BMW's ... a 1981 BMW R80GS (wish I never sold it!) and '82 R100RS. (one the least reliable bikes I ever owned!)

Spent lots of hours testing ALL the GS's from R100 up to R1200GS. I disliked ALL the GS's save two: my R80 .. and the R1200GS. The 1200 was SO MUCH lighter and better than all that came before, IMHO. Newest one I have not ridden but by all accounts it even better still ... LOTS more power.

The GS cannot do real trail riding but good on most fire roads. Baja destroys lots of GS's every year. Been there, towed them out, applied the JB Weld to busted cases.


But for our California nasty paved roads, not much better. You can ride the GS all day and not get all that fatigued. Pack the Mule up as much as you like and it won't even notice the load ... and neither will the pilot.

BMW got a lot right with the latest version but they can still be plagued with trouble if you ride a lot of ROUGH, washboard off road. Eats up the final drive.

I'm sure as I put more miles on my new to me Hyper I'll find fault. But so far
here are a few positives I've found in my very short time aboard:

1. Wonderful suspension (Andriano)
2. More comfy than I thought it would be. 3 hours straight ... no problem so far. Getting used to it. Somehow, it works.

3. Once I got used weight & balance, found a good handling bike. I did touch down a few times. But very confidence inspiring for me ... not bad for a FIRST RIDE, as it usually takes me a week on a bike to figure it out and start pushing a bit. Every ride gets better.

4. Wind noise buffeting not bad at all! First shield ever that actually works without mods.

5. This bike not wickedly fast, has weak low end ... but somehow super fun just about everywhere. And if you rev it a bit ... it goes pretty good.

Won't really know until next ride with hooligan buddies (5) riding KTM 1290's. I know on long open straights, they'll be gone. But I'm thinking I may be able to keep pace through tighter corners.

The most experienced guys I know now ALL aboard KTM. If KTM made a bike I could fit on ... I'd own one. Maybe the 690 Duke?

I will keep my DR650 Rat Bike, Baja Blaster. It's better than 80% of all the bikes I've owned or ridden. (No one knows about this bike ... and most could care less)

... except the 25 million members who've read the BIG DR650 thread over on ADV Rider Thumpers. Truly cheap and cheerful.

If you fit, I'd skip the BMW GS ... get the KTM.

Last edited by Hyp Noob; April 17th, 2017 at 07:16 PM.
Hyp Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 07:46 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
gatdammit's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
From: North Florida, USA
Posts: 1,822

I Ride: 2013 White Strada
Great write up.
Some members recently stated KTM has awful US support. Any input on that? I've always been in love with the Super Duke and I fit on it.
gatdammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Joined: Sep 2016
From: ABQ NM
Posts: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatdammit View Post
...I've always been in love with the Super Duke and I fit on it.
Don't know about the support but I've test rode it and have to say I really liked it, much like the Hyper, only more...
BadToTheBown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2017, 10:05 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Joined: Jul 2014
From: California
Posts: 814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp Noob View Post
Interesting takes on various bikes. I'm just learning the Hyper ... and so far, it's better than I thought it would be on several fronts.

I'm only 5'6" ... so, first off, this little bike FITS ME. (very few really do fit me!) I doubt many riders are my size and I'd surmise most are too big for the little Hyper? (IE: Monkey Humping Football comes to mind! )

I've owned over 50 bikes going back to about 1962. Only 2 BMW's ... a 1981 BMW R80GS (wish I never sold it!) and '82 R100RS. (one the least reliable bikes I ever owned!)

Spent lots of hours testing ALL the GS's from R100 up to R1200GS. I disliked ALL the GS's save two: my R80 .. and the R1200GS. The 1200 was SO MUCH lighter and better than all that came before, IMHO. Newest one I have not ridden but by all accounts it even better still ... LOTS more power.

The GS cannot do real trail riding but good on most fire roads. Baja destroys lots of GS's every year. Been there, towed them out, applied the JB Weld to busted cases.


But for our California nasty paved roads, not much better. You can ride the GS all day and not get all that fatigued. Pack the Mule up as much as you like and it won't even notice the load ... and neither will the pilot.

BMW got a lot right with the latest version but they can still be plagued with trouble if you ride a lot of ROUGH, washboard off road. Eats up the final drive.

I'm sure as I put more miles on my new to me Hyper I'll find fault. But so far
here are a few positives I've found in my very short time aboard:

1. Wonderful suspension (Andriano)
2. More comfy than I thought it would be. 3 hours straight ... no problem so far. Getting used to it. Somehow, it works.

3. Once I got used weight & balance, found a good handling bike. I did touch down a few times. But very confidence inspiring for me ... not bad for a FIRST RIDE, as it usually takes me a week on a bike to figure it out and start pushing a bit. Every ride gets better.

4. Wind noise buffeting not bad at all! First shield ever that actually works without mods.

5. This bike not wickedly fast, has weak low end ... but somehow super fun just about everywhere. And if you rev it a bit ... it goes pretty good.

Won't really know until next ride with hooligan buddies (5) riding KTM 1290's. I know on long open straights, they'll be gone. But I'm thinking I may be able to keep pace through tighter corners.

The most experienced guys I know now ALL aboard KTM. If KTM made a bike I could fit on ... I'd own one. Maybe the 690 Duke?

I will keep my DR650 Rat Bike, Baja Blaster. It's better than 80% of all the bikes I've owned or ridden. (No one knows about this bike ... and most could care less)

... except the 25 million members who've read the BIG DR650 thread over on ADV Rider Thumpers. Truly cheap and cheerful.

If you fit, I'd skip the BMW GS ... get the KTM.
Are you a regular SMR-er? I've done it a few times, but not a regular. A little too far for me. It was pretty interesting getting absolutely smoked by a VStrom 1000 as if I was standing still, and then smoked again by 3 KTM 1190's in a row - within 3 seconds of each other.

Save maybe 1 or 2 of us, I think members of this forum primarily rides onroad. A lot of my favorite roads are pretty torn up, but still nothing like the stuff you encounter offroad. The most offroad I've done on a street bike was FH7, and it was so graded and smooth it's more like a really dirty street. Drifting at 80mph is pretty though. Anyway... my point is, whatever bike I get will be a street bike, rough pot holed roads are the extent of the tough duty it will see.

As much as I love the KTM in theory, there are so many horror stories!!
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 05:41 AM   #28
RSL
Senior Member
 
RSL's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2015
From: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 594

I Ride: 2013 Hyperstrada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyp Noob View Post
I've owned over 50 bikes going back to about 1962. Only 2 BMW's ... a 1981 BMW R80GS (wish I never sold it!) and '82 R100RS. (one the least reliable bikes I ever owned!)
.
Did you ever come to one of the Reno Dust Devil Dual Sport Rides with Kari Prager?
RSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #29
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 99

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Are you a regular SMR-er? I've done it a few times, but not a regular. A little too far for me. It was pretty interesting getting absolutely smoked by a VStrom 1000 as if I was standing still, and then smoked again by 3 KTM 1190's in a row - within 3 seconds of each other.

Save maybe 1 or 2 of us, I think members of this forum primarily rides onroad. A lot of my favorite roads are pretty torn up, but still nothing like the stuff you encounter offroad. The most offroad I've done on a street bike was FH7, and it was so graded and smooth it's more like a really dirty street. Drifting at 80mph is pretty though. Anyway... my point is, whatever bike I get will be a street bike, rough pot holed roads are the extent of the tough duty it will see.

As much as I love the KTM in theory, there are so many horror stories!!
Agree on KTM horror stories! I've heard quite a few too, only owned two KTM's, tested several. Owned a 2001 Duke ll and raced a 300exc two stroke years ago. Both fine, no problems. Good news is latest big twins are more reliable than earlier versions.

The pic I posted above is in Cooper Canyon. We tried and unknown route, got lost for a day before we found way out. Vstrom, R12GS and 955i Tiger. Very rough going, lucky to have made it out.

Did TWO rides where KTM 950SE, 990 shit the bed ... major blow ups. Western warranty covered one of them. I towed one using DR650 to nearest town. Took six months to resolve. Bike is STILL on the road after two complete rebuilds!

I've ridden SMR off and on since 1980. NOT a regular but I know well and ride with some regulars. Witnessed some tragedies, Police action and more. So now, I might meet the group for Breakfast ... but usually avoid the unofficial "SMR race"! It's mellowed now ... (mostly! :roll eyes

Good shopping!
Hyp Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:22 AM   #30
Member
 
Joined: Apr 2017
From: California
Posts: 99

I Ride: '13 Hyperstrada, '06 DR650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSL View Post
Did you ever come to one of the Reno Dust Devil Dual Sport Rides with Kari Prager?
Yes, rode that event twice, don't recall if Kari was there or not. Years ago. Great event. I rode a XR650L on, a DRZ400 on another. Great trails up there, and very close to Black Rock ... a favorite area of mine.


Hyp Noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

  Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Ducati Hyperstrada Forum > Motorcycle Talk

Tags
bmw, thinking



Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking of buying Honda Grom Hyperstrada Motorcycle Talk 6 July 18th, 2016 07:33 AM
Thinking of Jumping Ship from Monster 821 AFdude Ducati Hyperstrada 21 August 20th, 2015 08:49 AM


Ducati Hyperstrada Facebook Ducati Hyperstrada Twitter Ducati Hyperstrada RSS Feed



Ducati Hyperstrada Motorcycle Forum
Copyright © 2012-2014 HYPERSTRADA.COM • All rights reserved.