Charging from the 12v sockets

Mar 2013
South lakes
Does anyone know if it is possible to charge the battery through the 12v accessory sockets on the hyperstrada ? i`m thinking of plugging my optimate directly into one of them............

apologies , this has already been answered elswhere :)

Last edited:
Nov 2014
Australia
I doubt it......the 12v sockets will charge your phone and camera when the bike is running. So I'm assuming that they are on a circuit linked to the alternator, which is where the power comes from.
I know I looked at my battery minder when I first got the bike and it's wired directly into the battery circuit.

Of course you could specifically rewire one of them to do what you want but then you will be short an external power outlet!!

Last edited:
Apr 2015
Massachusetts
That doesn't seem right Aussie. I read that the 12v power outlets are powered at all times, but that the battery has built in protection and will shut them down if voltage drops below 11.2 or something. They are powered off the battery. Charging through the powerlet should work.

Nov 2013
Inland SoCal
The power outlets are switched with the ignition, so they are useless for charging when parked. That's why my dealer installed the direct battery connection.

Jan 2015
London
Thanks silenthunter. What kind of connection is it? Same as the other two external sockets (can't remember the name of the socket type)?