Currently doing Valve Adjustment, got some weird measurements.

Oct 2017
japan
Hey guys,

Im at 18,000kms and had the bike apart so I decided to check valve clearances. On the Vert cyl all closers were out of spec by quite a bit!!! 2 were 0.09 and 2 were 0.15/16! I did the adjustment on my SF years ago so I might of forgot 1 step because after changing the shims out Im getting pretty much the same measurements. Before changing the shims I put the piston at TDC so valves dont fall, changed out the shims, torqued everything back to spec and remeasured. Same measurements. Do I need to put the horizontal back to TDC before remeasuring? When the vert is at tdc the rocker springs on the exhaust valves are at max load which made changing those shims a PITA BTW. So this is putting force on both rocker arms giving me the weird measurements right?

Oct 2017
japan
Thanks for the response guys. I reused the half rings again as they wernt not noticbely deformed or damaged in anyway. I did measure them with the cam caps torqued to spec 22nm as I heard this was the only way to get accurate measurements. Which is puzzling why the measurements wont change even when I went from a 3.35m shim to a 3.20m just to see if it would change.

Oct 2017
japan
Nevermind, I figured it out. For some reason the factory put a ton of gasket sealant on the cover, a lot of the dried sealant made its way into the cracks of the rubber ring on the cams causing it not to seat right. I dont feel like taking this all apart again for awhile so Im going for the 0.02 gaps. Looks like I have a bit of sanding ahead of me....