How bored will I be on a Vstrom 1000?

Jun 2014
Boston
What about an sv650 - seems like such a nice bike - These are all road bikes, so why not just get a road bike without the salad dressing. If you really want dirt, the yamaha t700 is right around the corner and looks like a gem.

Mar 2013
Naples, IT
Or the Africa Twin. I really like this bike and would be top of my list for a true dually.

Jun 2014
Boston
Or the Africa Twin. I really like this bike and would be top of my list for a true dually.
Or the cb500x - rally raid that bad boy and you can go most anywhere anytime. Had the cb500f and that engine is a fun little beast and the bike was a real joy. Some of that DNA must be in the cb500x.

May 2017
Philadelphia USA
The technological simplicity of the CB500x is appealing to me. After all of the technology failures experienced with the HS I've got a bad taste in my mouth for all this fancy electronics crap. I may end up with a Suzuki DR650 which is about as technologically sophisticated as my lawnmower.

Jun 2015
New Zealand
The technological simplicity of the CB500x is appealing to me. After all of the technology failures experienced with the HS I've got a bad taste in my mouth for all this fancy electronics crap. I may end up with a Suzuki DR650 which is about as technologically sophisticated as my lawnmower.
I just changed my Hyper for the Tenere 700. Simple, basic bike devoid of the electrickery except for EFI and now mandatory in NZ (switchable) ABS. It has been a revelation to have a bike that does the basics well again. Recent bike history last 14/15 years was Transalp 650 -> KTM 625SXC -> BMW G650GS (POS which spent most of the time I had it in the shop being repaired under warranty) ->KTM 625SXC again -> Hyperstrada. I guess after the 'character' of the KTM's the Hyper was just normal to me. At my age the Tenere is likely to be my last bike. Cheers.

Mar 2013
Naples, IT
I would argue that the Ducati Safety Pack features didn't plague this bike. They were one of the items I felt was on par or above the purchase value of the bike (in 2013). I think the ABS and DTC work very well and saved me from a couple nasty low sides. Has anybody had an isolated DTC or ABS issue? I don't recall any trending threads. I have and have had many issues with mine but, if it starts, the DTC and ABS always work.

You could argue it had some general electrical gremlins, but even the throttle assembly issue didn't affect that many and it was solved with an update. Disco ball dash sounded awful, but if you count the number of people that actually reported the problem, it was a small sample of the membership on this site. And Ducati put out a TSB to fix it.

I can attribute about 4 nasty crashes in my early years of riding to not having ABS. I wouldn't purchase a street bike without ABS, and I want DTC on anything over 100 hp. I guess there's an argument to one's particular riding style. If you flow with traffic on the highway, hypermile your MPG, and avoid urban streets then, ya, maybe you don't need nanny gadgets.

To paraphrase a rationale from my profession when NVG's were introduced: "I could probably drive my car safely at night without the headlights off...but, why would I?"

Reactions: appliance821
May 2017
Philadelphia USA
I would argue that my Suzuki Savage isn't anymore dangerous to ride than my Ducati. I ride it just as much (longer in fact) and haven't wiped out despite having all the same kinds of close calls as on the HS. It has no technology at all. In fact there were two occasions where locking up the rear drum and sliding the bike sideways saved me from eating a hood ornament.

I don't much like the false sense of security afforded by modern safety technology. I think it causes complacency and recklessness.

Mar 2013
Naples, IT
Well, agreed you should know base mechanics before going to 11. I don't know you're riding style. I personally normally turn DTC off, but always keep ABS on. Like I've said before, never had anyone stop shorter than me in a safety class, which I have to take every 2 years. I am a bit of a hoon, so at least want to be able to grab full lock on the brakes in a panic and not worry about modulation so I don't lock the front up and eat tarmac.

Still disagree on the induction of technology. We wouldn't be selling 200+ hp sport bikes without some aides in the mix. Modern DTC allows dipshits in Ferrari's to go sideways on a track at full throttle and just point it down the straight with no fuss. I wouldn't let my daughter drive a car without ABS or airbags. Praise Science!

May 2017
Philadelphia USA
Be as it may I think in and of itself safety tech isn't a bad thing but it should never be used as a replacement for common sense. Driving a lane correcting automobile because it makes it easier to text and drive is one example.

Anyway I'm not going to be ultra picky about what bike I get. At this point I just want a bike I don't have to haul to the shop constantly.

Jun 2014
Boston
I just changed my Hyper for the Tenere 700. Simple, basic bike devoid of the electrickery except for EFI and now mandatory in NZ (switchable) ABS. It has been a revelation to have a bike that does the basics well again. Recent bike history last 14/15 years was Transalp 650 -> KTM 625SXC -> BMW G650GS (POS which spent most of the time I had it in the shop being repaired under warranty) ->KTM 625SXC again -> Hyperstrada. I guess after the 'character' of the KTM's the Hyper was just normal to me. At my age the Tenere is likely to be my last bike. Cheers.
Tenere seems like a fine machine. The cb500x is also a fine machine, and with Rally Raid updates can be a real RTW bike.(heck - since most people around the world ride 2 stroke 250's we probably overthink this stuff anyway.) I had the cb500f and it was a real joy. Got to say though, even though my thoughts stray, I do love the hyper - and every ride re-affirms this. Just put a mupo front suspension in, and it is that much more precise and confidence inspiring -and that mid-range punch - excelsior! But if I was going RTW I'd surely be looking at the cb or the T7, if I could have 2 bikes... But being irrational I just sat on on a KTM 690 SMC-r - oh shit...looking for love in all the wrong places....