Neutral problem clutch fluid pressure

Mar 2019
Wellington
However i am still confused - ok it does not have the threaded dowel, but then what is the ball and spring adjuster used for?

Mar 2019
Wellington
yep i have that manual too but it does not explain what the ball and spring adjuster is for?

Apr 2013
uk
Looks like an oil pressure relief valve, just controls oil pressure, if it gets too high it relieves through there. Nothing to do with the clutch

Mar 2019
Wellington
ok thanks, so that bolt and spring and ball are located in the same place as the threaded rod on the service bulletin, or a different position - you said you removed yours so you would know?

Apr 2013
uk
Stop looking and reading that service built-in, it's regarding adjusting the pressure for hydraulic operated clutch, we don't have that fitted. The latest hypers do, but we don't. The translation or English isn't quite correct either. I can see where your getting confused when it says oil pressure. It should read clutch fluid pressure, but are bikes DONT have clutch fluid nor oil operated. Sort the cable out....

Mar 2019
Wellington
I'm sorry but i think that you are wrong here - the bulletin is not for hydraulic operated clutches - is specify's 2015 stradas and monsters neither of which came with hydraulic clutches.
indeed it does mention models with hydraulic clutch control, so is appropriate for both cable and hydraulic controlled clutches.

Last edited:
Sep 2017
Lansing Mi
That ball and spring set up does what mentalist said. At idle and low rpm the oil pump doesnt want to waste oil pressure going to the clutch, it's not needing any lubrication. As rpm rises the oil pressure builds and compresses the spring which opens up the oil from to the wet clutch.

Mentalist is referring to the hydraulically actuated clutch. The stock 821/939 have a cable actuated clutch. The multistrada and monsters (most) use a hydraulic actuated clutch consisting of master cylinder and slave cylinder which pushes a rod down that shaft in the center of the clutch(the one that we are talking about limiting oil down with that article you have.

They also changed the clutch on the 15+ bikes. The pull pin is different which is why they mention it in the link. I believe the pin recesses into the output shaft (the same shaft that the other bikes use with the push rod setup).

I believe your issue is the cable.

Sep 2017
Lansing Mi
Buy a cheap set of levers (amazon $30)and adjust almost all of the slack out of the cable and you will have the result you are looking for. The adjustable lever will move the lever inward while the slack is gone. I have used many levers including the cheap Amazon levers, RSC ezpull stunt set up, rizoma on the cable set up and there is definitely a sweet spot. When I switched to hydraulic all the attention needed was gone. Hydraulic adjusts itsself to constant positioning