Sprockets OEM vs JT carrier n Superlite steel side by side

Sep 2017
Lansing Mi
Can you tell me from which store you purchased the parts? thanks!
Carrier- Amazon.com: JT Sprockets JTA750B Aluminum Rear Sprocket Carrier: Automotive

Chain- https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006O85BY2?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Front sprocket - 520 Conversion Front Sprocket 14 Teeth Ducati Hypermotard 821 2013-2015 | eBay

Rear sprocket was also from Ebay but it's not available anymore. It is the same sprocket and just about the same price. - SUPERLITE (#50607R) RS7 Series 520 Pitch Steel Rear QC Sprocket - fits PCD1/ PCD2/ MV - 821 Hypermotard 2013-2015 - Ducati - STREET

These links are for exactly what I got. If you have a 13-14 bike then they will be the same(except for going -1 in the front). If you have a 15-19 bike they have a different sprocket size.

Jun 2014
Boston
A couple of things:

There is an o-ring behind the front sprocket that should be replaced

It might not be a bad idea the replace the thin washer you bend over to lock the front sprocket in place. Kuksol used 2 as his let go.

I'd like to get a front sprocket with rubber damping but no-one seems to sell them for this bike though JT lists one. I've read they're common on Japanese bikes since the 90s. Sounds like a good idea though not necessary.

Sep 2017
Lansing Mi
A couple of things:

There is an o-ring behind the front sprocket that should be replaced

It might not be a bad idea the replace the thin washer you bend over to lock the front sprocket in place. Kuksol used 2 as his let go.

I'd like to get a front sprocket with rubber damping but no-one seems to sell them for this bike though JT lists one. I've read they're common on Japanese bikes since the 90s. Sounds like a good idea though not necessary.
Sprocketcenter has the rubber damping ones in stock for 520 and 525.
https://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/ducati/820-hypermotard-2013-2015/ognibene-52604-7039-530-pitch-rubber-dampened-front-sprocket-ducati.html

https://sprocketcenter.com/street-sprocket-applications/ducati/820-hypermotard-2013-2015/ognibene-52608-7039-525-pitch-rubber-dampened-front-sprocket-ducati.html

Jun 2014
Boston
Definitely time for a new chain on my bike after 16k, I've noticed some stiff links and noise from the drivetrain when riding around town (the only time I don't have ear plugs in) and I can pull the chain away from the rear sprocket a bit.

If I'm doing this I'm performance focused, but a little bling can't hurt. I'm curious if you considered the superlight carrier at all, it seems like it'd be similar quality to the JT carrier, and it comes in pretty colors, so there's that.
If the chain can touch the swingarm and you've adjusted all the way out, it's time to do the deed.

I went with the superlight because sprockets are easy to find for it. I remember ordering both and the JT was missing some hardware and didn't seem as well machined. YMMV I think the superlight cost just a bit more than the OEM and moving forward sprockets will be cheaper.

Jun 2014
Boston
Another thing - I broke the chain with the motion pro portable chain breaker - worked fine without any grinding etc.. Greased it befor using. So cheap and good.

I also used the EK screw on type master link because I don't know how to rivet and wasn't interested in "if at first you don't succeed" ouch. Anyway, the screw type link has worked fine for about 15,000 miles.

Nice thing is that of you do long rides you can bring a couple, along with a few extra links of chain, and do an easy roadside repair. Just need and 8mm wrench and the motion pro type chain breaker.

https://www.motosport.com/ek-chains-zvx3-screw-type-master-link

https://www.motionpro.com/a/chain-breaker/

...and while I'm bloviating - do yourself a favor and use an impact wrench to remove the front sprocket nut - done and done.

Last edited:
Sep 2017
Lansing Mi
I went with this chain breaker/rivet tool and the supplied rivet master link. There are many reviews and videos about this specific tool, half good and half bad. The bad all talk about how it difficult to thread and get alot of pressure. That all points to threads that arent cleaned up and lack of grease. I wire wheeled the threads and used some grease on the threads of the tool as well as the points the touch the links and it worked flawlessly. Very good product for the price after you do a couple things to make it work the way it is supposed to(especially since it will only be used a hand full of times in its life or before i lose it). It allows you to put the pressure on the links to load the plates then activate the riveting pin which is really nice. Those screw on master links seem weak imo. They also look odd and out of place imo. Not that they are inferior but if the goal is "bling" then a mismatched master link doesnt really foot the bill with it being out in the open. I believe those are also not ment to be reused numerous times. If I'm not mistaken, dont they snap off a section of it once it is locked down? If we are replacing every o ring and lock washer then we surely wont be reusing a non-servicable master link given the severity if it were to fail, right?

I may be lucky but in my 30+ years of riding I have never broke a chain or needed to field modulate one to get me home(on road or offroad)...knock on wood.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EO17L02?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

As for the carrier, the JT seems to be the "go to" bang for the buck carrier since it actually does fit the Superlite sprockets. So it has all the convenience and access to the easy to acquire superlite sprockets. Sucks you were missing parts with your JT piece. My carrier was finished off nicely. Here is my actual piece(top) next to Superlite (bottom). It was a shame to cover it with the hub carrier cover.

Attachments

Jun 2014
Boston
I went with this chain breaker/rivet tool and the supplied rivet master link. There are many reviews and videos about this specific tool, half good and half bad. The bad all talk about how it difficult to thread and get alot of pressure. That all points to threads that arent cleaned up and lack of grease. I wire wheeled the threads and used some grease on the threads of the tool as well as the points the touch the links and it worked flawlessly. Very good product for the price after you do a couple things to make it work the way it is supposed to(especially since it will only be used a hand full of times in its life or before i lose it). It allows you to put the pressure on the links to load the plates then activate the riveting pin which is really nice. Those screw on master links seem weak imo. They also look odd and out of place imo. Not that they are inferior but if the goal is "bling" then a mismatched master link doesnt really foot the bill with it being out in the open. I believe those are also not ment to be reused numerous times. If I'm not mistaken, dont they snap off a section of it once it is locked down? If we are replacing every o ring and lock washer then we surely wont be reusing a non-servicable master link given the severity if it were to fail, right?

I may be lucky but in my 30+ years of riding I have never broke a chain or needed to field modulate one to get me home(on road or offroad)...knock on wood.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EO17L02?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

As for the carrier, the JT seems to be the "go to" bang for the buck carrier since it actually does fit the Superlite sprockets. So it has all the convenience and access to the easy to acquire superlite sprockets. Sucks you were missing parts with your JT piece. My carrier was finished off nicely. Here is my actual piece(top) next to Superlite (bottom). It was a shame to cover it with the hub carrier cover.
It's a good chain breaker. People mis-use stuff and then blame the stuff. Grease and easy steady pressure....

The screw link is fine - yes you can't use re-use it, but who would do that? Maybe mis-read my post. Don't know about bling - just wanted to replace the chain - but my eyes don't see the link. It's fine. Didn't want to risk a bad rivet - hard to spot and would be weak.

I hear you on covering the carrier - LOL - kind of a shame as it's a nice piece of metal.

Sep 2017
Lansing Mi
I understand now. I originally thought you were referring to unscrewing the master link and adding/replacing links while out and about. Now I see you were referring to bringing a few extra screw links with you 'just in case'. I did misunderstand.