Washing the panniers / side bags

Jan 2019
Toronto
Any particular tips for cleaning the bags after collecting massive bug splatter all over the front of them? Like soak them in a tub, or just spray them down mounted on the bike? Not sure how durable the fabric is to scrubbing.

Jan 2018
Northern Ireland
I use a few drops of liquid hand soap mixed with water and applied with a sponge to clean my panniers.

Mar 2013
Naples, IT
I put a coat of UV protector on them every so often; though, it still didn't stop them from turning purple.

Reactions: duc
Aug 2019
Texas
Was bugs off bags

Hello,

It may be best to soak the bugs a bit if they are dry and caked on in a solution of enzyme based laundry detergent. This will soften the bugs and help release them from the fabric, a gentle encouragement with a very soft brush like those used for delicate vegetables will work.

After the wash and dry coating the zippers and even treating the fabric with a conditioner and water proffer would go a long way in making the washing of bugs less buggy!

All the best and stay safe.
Why save time, when you can spend it instead! :D
MackM

Mar 2013
Naples, IT
search "fabric paint". There was a lengthy thread with some OK results. I can't ship the products to my Europe address so never tried. I have my original bags in the attic which I hope to get re-finished in a different material. If I ever find a set of SS 959 panniers on the cheap, I'll buy those and try to swap the brackets. They are a much refined version of our bags with plastic panels on the exterior that won't fade.

Feb 2018
Orcas Island/Chiang Mai
I use a cotton terry towel and water only, just like my helmet. Like Bill Nye said, water is the best solvent.